Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectBless him and his fam
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=97076&mesg_id=97246
97246, Bless him and his fam
Posted by mallingual, Wed Jul-05-06 02:02 AM
he put me and others on to some beautiful music. that article deserves props for mentioning him spinnin among his other activities. i saved a thread on brazillian music that he was in. here's a few quotes from it.

-----------------------------------------------------
Posted by Mpozi on Aug-10-04 at 02:35 PM
In response to message #22

yeaaah, you dig!!!!
seriously, it's like music you need to have a strong heart to listen to. because there's times when it's SO beautiful that it's almost painful...
i mean like heart palpitating painful..."

PoZi (;=

-----------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Mpozi on Aug-09-04 at 06:43 PM
In response to message #19

no doubt. from the top of my head i can def say these are on there-
Brasil- Tom Jobim, from the album "Stone Flower"- great, great, version, features Jobim on what sounds like electric piano and vocals. Especially groovy because the breaks in the tune are so incredibly timed and executed.

Brasil- Gato Barbieri- from a live at montreaux album- I'm a dub head, so versioning things is force of habit. Although in this case the tunes are spaced out on the disk. This version is about the same tempo of the Jobim version, but with some serious coltrane-esque freak out tenor sax playing.

Summer Samba- Ramsey Lewis from the Goes Latin (pretty sure that's the title- it's the cover with him holding the Pan Am plane).

Summer Samba- Bebel Gilberto- from Tanto Tempo, mixes out of the Ramsey Lewis cover.

Rosa- Gilberto Gil- from the Refazenda album- great, great tune, one that makes me think the drummer has either an extra hand, or an extra bone or muscle in his wrists... crazy taut drum rolls that break into some incredible almost Sly and Robbie "flying cymbal" riffs. It's actually more Tropicalia than bossa, but nobody's complained yet!

Chuvo Chuve (def spelled wrong)- by Sergio Mendes, another guilty pleasure, although, as groovy as the harmonising is, it's pretty sweet. I have it on a SM lp, but this is from the Thievery Co. comp. I mix it into this really great medley piano piece that incorporates the refrain from Chuvo Chuve as well as Mais Que Nada and other classics.

Mais Que Nada- can't remember the artist, but it's a really nice grimy, gravely version.

Cannonball Adderly/Sergio Mendes- from their duet album, amazing.

GRRRR! there's like 18 tracks on the disc, most of which i know by heart, but have no idea what they are actually called- just what they mix with and what the tempo is....

but i'll work on it tonight....

oh yeah!

Viva Sohando (sp?) a nice uptempo version that i blend into Getz's solo from the getz au gogo album...

PoZi (;=

-----------------------------------------------------