Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectRE: I got a couple of questions
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=53237&mesg_id=53821
53821, RE: I got a couple of questions
Posted by Nettrice, Thu Jun-30-05 07:32 PM
>1. Does anyone think that their thoughts on race are a means
>of control?

Race is an illusion but racism isn't. Racism without power is just prejudice elevated due to ignorance. People use race as a way to perpetuate conditions and maintain the status quo. However, their behaviors are only indicators of their level of awareness, not what is "real". Their behaviors are never caused by a response to the external. Instead, as William Glasser's control theory states that behavior is inspired by what a person wants most at any given time: survival, love, power, freedom, or any other basic human need. All people "control" their behavior to maximize their needs...they use race to meet their needs.

Therefore, people may use race to relate to the folks in their circle (of influence) or to get a job.

>2. Sell Outs: Are they really?

I don't know...rather than care about a political platform (rhetoric) I tend to look at people's actions as an indicator of their integrity.

>3. How often do you (as a minority) worry about your
>appearence or how you are percieved?

I stopped worrying a while ago. My old white college roommate invited me to her parent's house. Her father cooked a special meal for me: chicken. He was taken aback when I told him I was a vegetarian. He said, "I thought all Black people liked chicken." I told him "not all" because I did not eat meat. He was pissed that he had to prepare another meal for me but I figured it was a good lesson for him. I never felt any pressure to eat chicken because to make him happy.

>4. Theory: White Men have it easy!

White men are stuck in this prison with the rest of us.

>5. Systematic Omission of Blacks in Media:
>Has anyone else noticed that there are no Black People in
>McDonalds commercials?

Not on BET and MTV.