Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectRE: Ok....do the white okp's really feel hidden guilt because
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=53237&mesg_id=53399
53399, RE: Ok....do the white okp's really feel hidden guilt because
Posted by Whanoon, Thu Jun-30-05 11:15 AM
>of what their people have done over the centuries to other
>peoples?

Like other posters, my family, in all the directions i traced, was arriving just after the civil war, and were poor laborers. Were they ignorant and racist? do i blame them entirely? no, similar to the way i don't blame the hutus entir'vely for the occurrence of the Rwandan genocide. But nevertheless we've all had murderers, rapists and theives in our families somewhere down the line.

The emotion I've felt when reading books, watching movies, that sort of indirect experience, isn't guilt, because it doesn't stem from my actions, but it's disgust, horror, anger, sympathy and helplessness.

>I mean do you really feel guilty about it? And if so, do you
>still take advantage of your priviledge?

I'm sure i've "taken advantage" and never been the wiser. most whites have a hard time recognizing that and when this might be going on, because it's normal for us. i mean, to see otherwise, is eye opening
>If you don't feel guilt why not? and I don't believe the whole
>"it wasn't me" excuse ANNNNNNNND- why don't you feel guilt?

okay this is the third time for the same question. i guess i don't feel guilty for being who i am because i know my parents raised me well, with compassion for others.
>How do you feel when you look around you and realize that
>there are a people who are severely downpressed with no real
>hopes of the tides ever changing unless there is a mass
>holocaust...because of the actions of your foreparents?

I think that in 100 years the struggle will be more class based, around limited resources than color based.

i do want to work for positive change while i'm here, but guilt is not my motivation.

Education reform as far as moving away from property tax funded schools, and a more socialized health care system, as well as a sane, sustainable, environmental policy are three things i care about
>there is a whole sect of people who are extinct and a whole
>other sect where they are so downpressed that there is
>literally no hope left.

i feel very cynical about the consumptive nature and narrow world outlook of our society, but i never give up hope

>I am apart of the group with no hope left. I try to come to
>terms to what has happened to my people, but I can't. i choose
>not to think about it, I can hardly watch any movies or shows
>that deal with the issue.

Manifest destiny, and the evil that resulted from religious righteousness, huge profit motive, and willingness to enslave in masse needs to be examined in depth. Not on some "Oh we were stupid and insensitive for enslaving 15-20 million Africans, we're better now though". The world is allowing another genocide, on a much smaller scale, to continue in sudan. We are, as an outside global community, contributing to evil, by allowing it to happen.
>
>I would rather just ignore it and keep on moving, focus more
>on myself and my own family than my own people. I am but one
>person and I cannot help everyone on the level that I would
>like to...that's not anyone's fault it's my decision...

Everyone needs to look out for family and individual needs first. that's why, i believe, when we're allowed just enough, as people under a government, we become easier to control and manipulate

>but I'm just wondering...how do you feel when you look around
>you and realize that I could actually be where I am because of
>the blood sweat and tears of a whole entire people?

We're all living in a country that is as powerful as it is, due in great part to labor at the expense of blacks. no argument
>Is it just survival of the fittest/most manipulative? is it
>god's will? Is it the luck of the draw? what is it?

Read Guns, germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. There are several good reasons, none of them race related, why European countries advanced technologically to the point where they were able to conquer whole continents. Food and animal domestication has a lot to do with it. These are important factors that are often overlooked.

>What do you think makes people look at you and me and think
>that you are better?

stupidity?

>How does that make you feel?

sad, angry, exasperated
>How does it make you feel when others say you have no soul and
>that you are a heartless and cold people? A reptilian race?
>Do you ever look into yourself and wonder if it's true?

I've only read this on OKP. i'd have no choice but to laugh at this. are you actually serious about the last question? My family and I are very close and warm hearted...after we've spent two-three hours sunning on the rocks outside the caucus mountains of course

>hate monger's have long preached that you have no rythm and no
>heart no sense of family or of the collective divine and
>physical powers---
>do you believe it?

Black people in general, are more culturally oriented to dancing, openly and freely I believe. how would you explain away all white musicians though?
>Do you look at other cultures and wonder where is yours? where
>is your connection with the divine?

i'm agnostic, i'll pass
>uhm yeah I'm done for now.
>
>