Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectI applaud the motivation behind this post.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=53237&mesg_id=53362
53362, I applaud the motivation behind this post.
Posted by TommyWhy, Thu Jun-30-05 03:56 AM
Although I think compared to a lot of communities OKP is pretty enlightened race-wise (although recenty I've seen a few posts that would seem to prove me wrong) but any discourse moving the conversation forward is valuable imo.

I think most white-OKPs understand that usage of the n-word is unacceptable (we see you Flavariety, so do better)... at least here on the boards. I'd hope this gets carried through into real life as well (I can't imagine that it doesn't for most folks, but you never know).

I guess the most violently contested front that I see around these parts is the inter-racial love/dating/relationship thing. Part of this problem is that it is a complex stew of issues, although the two "purist" extremes are quite simple (overly so, imo)

stick to your own kind

or

you can't help who you fall in love with

in between we've got a bunch of issues, from rapist slavemasters to self-hatred to fetishization/objectification to cultural misunderstandings etc.

As someone who has been involved in IRs more often than not, I have to say that for me these issues don't really exist anymore within my personal interactions, although I would deal with them if needed with someone new. Anyone engaging in an IR should be prepared to confront and conquer these issues lest they contribute to them.

The other (not quite so) big issue I see is separatism vs. integration. While I understand the impulse behind separatism, I think it's a losing battle, however noble. I feel that as a species we need to look to what our future holds while respecting and honoring the past (and learning from its mistakes). To me the ultimate goal should be world citizenship and equality (utopian as it may sound) and I feel we can only get there together.