Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectThe Book Of Gear
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=38385&mesg_id=38412
38412, The Book Of Gear
Posted by poetx, Tue Jan-30-01 10:43 AM
alot of heads slept on Jesus' fashion sense. he puts it down, though in the Book Of Gear, two thousand years before GQ or Vibe.

Gear, Chapter 2, 4-8

The Parable Of The Man With Expensive Gear

4. There was a man who came into an inheritance, from his father, a prosperous merchant.

5. This man spent lavishly, in ALL things, and chiefly upon gear.

6. All manner of gear had he: Jacob Hilfigger, FJBJ (for jews,by jews), YHV, and Achmed Lauren. His robes were emblazoned with the sign of the great fashion houses, and even his sandals were resplendent.

7. It came to pass that this man was invited to hold court with the king, and he was sorely afraid that his raiment be not splendid in the eyes of such royalty

8. So he summoned the finest tailors in the land, that they would weave for him gear with cloth spun of gold thread. He did purchase gator sandals, encrusted with gems such as would feed all the poor of the city.

9. When the day of the dinner came, he journeyed to the palace of the king. Upon entering the palace, the king greeted him, and he bowed deeply, but, violating custom, did not proffer the token tribute of 5 sheckles. He had spent all of his wealth upon the gear which he rocked.

10. The king became enraged at his insolence. "You Fool!" he bellowed, "you deny me my due yet wear garments richer than mine own??".

11. The king had the man executed, and melted down the gold, and removed the jewels from the garments and sandals, for distribution to the kingdom's beggars.

12. Jesus: And when this man came to heaven's gate, he came as a pauper, having NOT the coin to enter the holy realm. He was cast into the pit, where he doth wear golden garb, but endureth eternal flame. I ask unto thee, doth gear hold thy salvation?

13. Far better is it to rocketh humble gear; get thee some coordinates from Olde Navy and mixeth and match that ish, lest thee spend unwisely, and be left without coin for thy debts.

man. there's a lesson in that one.

there is a corresponding passage in the Book Of Rhymes (36, verse 7) where the lord spits:

you'll catch me on the humble, no stones, i rock earth tones/
an microphones, Word Life, i spread Light ever since my birth, clones/
can't cop the steez of Jeez, dem try to tease these tattered robes/
but-pull-they hoes on the low, after the shows under the strobes/
whisper wisdom in their lobes, my game rotate the globes/
an take em back like they apostles to they humble abodes...

God kinda got off topic there, there's definitely a hint of a Grand Puba vibe to his earlier work, but the knowledge shines through, though

peace & blessings,

x.

January is Kool Keith quote month, for lack of anything else:

"I never hearda you stupid, what's your name man??"

"Rappers don't know, I'm out the hospital/
cold buggin' and illin' like Dr. Doolittle"

"I'll chew your ass like monkeys on Wild Kingdom"

"you call yourself GOD, can you make it rain?/
can you tell me now what I'm thinkin' in my brain?"

"under your arms, you're kickin power and musty"

"word to mom, I'm in my own world.../
galaxy raaaaaays... powerful"