Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjecton this in particular, I think you were over-complicating it:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=211516&mesg_id=211565
211565, on this in particular, I think you were over-complicating it:
Posted by kfine, Wed Apr-15-20 09:33 AM
>
>when i first started digging around...i was looking at going
>up there for the typical max 3/6 month visa-free stay. then
>getting an apt off the books or airbnb while looking for a job
>(im self employed so i technically dont need it to support
>myself...just to secure the visa). then coming back and
>applying for the proper visa when i got the employment offer.
>
>after researching a bunch of personal anecdotes on expat
>boards and speaking to somebody at a consulate down here...i
>decided it wasnt worth the risk of getting banned.

It's generally a bad idea to use non-immigrant pathways for purposes other than they were intended for. So basically, a 3-6month visit under non-immigrant tourist status should be for just chilling, sight-seeing, etc. I mean I'm sure lots of people have found/been offered jobs while visiting, but the point is re-locating to hopefully find a job during that period would have been bad strategy imho.

I think it'd be much safer to apply for jobs from the US, travel up if/as needed for interviews and such (as a regular visa-free visitor), and then if successful, work with the employer (as you're preparing to leave the US) to get your offer letter and other documentation in order (degree(s), transcripts, etc.), so that you'll have everything ready for your move day when you get processed at the Port of Entry (as a TN).

Airbnbs would make more sense to stay at on your interview trips or immediately upon longer-term arrival (after getting processed/approved at the Port of Entry), like if you had trouble securing an apartment/place to stay before your move/hire date kind of thing.