Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectCosign a lot of what EAS said. I think you're helping make my case
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=211145&mesg_id=211167
211167, Cosign a lot of what EAS said. I think you're helping make my case
Posted by kfine, Tue Mar-24-20 10:05 PM

against wet markets too tho.

Specifically here:

>Vaccines and medicine were not always available to protect
>man....just the natural immunity build up process which
>allowed civilization to thrive..

Your view is pretty anthropocentric if you think about it, because before vaccines and medicines people just died super easily and super young lol. Our immune systems aren't actually that robust in the grand scheme of things. It's just that, historically, humans' exposures were limited to their immediate geography/habitat or wherever they could survive migrating to, like EAS is talking about. Natural immunity is acquired, in part, by the geographies in which we live and the ecosystems present there. The mosquito that carries dengue, for example, isnt present everywhere. The Fruit Bat that's a reservoir for Ebola isn't present everywhere. Somebody could live their entire life on earth and never have to worry about Dengue and Ebola. But if a vendor set up shop in your local farmer's market hawking exotic birds from India that feed on the dengue mosquito, and exotic Congolese Fruit Bats from a region where Ebola outbreaks have occurred, now you might worry right?

Imho this is why wet markets are so extraordinarily dangerous. They represent a *highly unnatural* co-location of species originating from an unprecedented range of phyla, geographies, ecosystems, even trophic levels. This degree of intermingling would NEVER occur naturally, in any geography, based on the natural ecological habitats of the animals in question. And this is before getting into these markets' poor sanitary conditions, the butcher-on-demand culture of cutting the meat up in front of customers (increasing opportunities for exposure), and their presence in multiple countries.

They're essentially deregulated satellite replications of the most unsanitary animal handling practices used in industrialized farming, which EAS is talking about. But instead of a sea of cows or pigs or chickens wallowing in their own filth until slaughter, its a United Nations of the Animal Kingdom and its diseases. The unnatural intermingling + poor sanitary conditions + commercialization makes these markets disease vectors of unconscionable magnitude. It's insane they can continue to operate anywhere in the world after being implicated in multiple large-scale pandemics. They should be viewed as biological arsenals capable of world-war-scale mass casualties, destruction of our social and economic systems, and a risk to humanity. Seriously.

.and man has been meat eaters
>since inception, and raw meat eaters before the use of fire.

Ya I don't think wet markets can even be compared to a hunter-gatherer type risk model. It's just such a different scale and the range of animal exposures far exceeds what a hunter-gatherer could encounter in his habitat. imho