Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectOne of my best friends is this guy.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=210457&mesg_id=211001
211001, One of my best friends is this guy.
Posted by Brew, Tue Mar-17-20 08:59 PM
I admit even though I was an "alarmist" early on, I was still doing regular social shit as recently as last Tuesday nite. We had a playoff basketball game in my men's league then went out for a few beers after our win to celebrate. Obviously this was a topic of discussion and he was all "it's here now, so why are we gonna lock ourselves indoors ? We just have to treat it"

Clearly he hadn't read enough about this so I tried to learn him on why it was important to start this process. Again I want to acknowledge my own hypocrisy saying this while sitting at a semi-crowded bar lol. Anyway midway through the conversation when two of my teammates joined in and were nodding along in agreement with everything I was saying, my friend sorta did the "well aren't we having fun tonite !" thing to cut me off. He was "kidding" but also sorta not.

He flew out to South Carolina the next day and is still there. I think he's still sorta detached from the whole thing and obviously he's far from alone. It's alarming considering how bad it's gotten in just a week - fuck that, even that very *nite* when I went home that's when the NBA/Rudy Golbert shit went down which should've been enough for those of us on the basketball team to step back a bit.

We've been so lucky in this country to have gone so long without something like this happening. What us stubborn ass Americans don't seem to realize is that we no longer have a government so the lack of proactive, aggressive alarm bells wasn't because this isn't serious, it's because of the incompetency at the highest levels.

We are fucked.