Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectpossible. but i don't think so. look at the curve we've been on since
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=210457&mesg_id=210591
210591, possible. but i don't think so. look at the curve we've been on since
Posted by poetx, Mon Mar-09-20 08:27 PM
last week. we're about 2 weeks behind italy.

this thing would have been noticed if it was following this same trajectory in the wild, b/c in a local epicenter the hospitals and health care systems would have been overwhelmed. which is what is happening as it spreads and ramps here.

china says its cases have plateaued. s korea says theirs have and we have less reason to be skeptical of them. china got up over 80k cases and 3k deaths before they said they got a handle on it. using tools not at our disposal:

- real id on social media
- pervasive monitoring and facial recognition to deter ppl breaking quarantine
- ppl mad scared of the government (as opposed to, say, congressmen 'choosing' not to self-isolate, and ppl out in the midwest going to a school dance when they supposed to be on quarantine
- ability to absorb the economic shot of almost all businesses grinding to a halt
- an existing manufacturing base that could be quickly retooled to produce masks and other items needed by the effort
- ability to build 3 hospitals in 10 days.
- ability to isolate an entire region with up to 60 m ppl

china messed around in the early phases of this and tried to contain it on the low before it became public.

if our numbers follow the same trajectory, it will be very very bad. if the spread is worse here (and it may be due to the incompetence of this regime), it may be catastrophic

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad