Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectBut you don't need mechanisms to change from one race to another.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=208012&mesg_id=208356
208356, But you don't need mechanisms to change from one race to another.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jun-15-15 04:36 PM
The very nature of race as a social construct means that we can just simply change the definition to suit whatever purpose we want.

And that definition has already changes or place and time.

My bi-racial friend in Kenya was considered White in Kenya but was deemed black when she came to the states. We use to have huge fights in college because I tried to force her to accept that she was black in the status (as oppose to bi-racial). It took me a while but in retrospect I realize I didn't have the right to decide for her what she was.

All over the world we know of other places that don't ascribe to our binary black or white racial categories (doesn't brazil have like 10 catergories).

Even in the US our racial categories seem to be changing. No one really strongly supports the one drop rule. Bi-racial wasn't a respectable category even when I was a kid. Shit changes.

Either there is a biological basis or it's a social construct and if it's a social construct then we are making up the rules as we go along and we decide whether or not it's a thing.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're