Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectAlso, if we were to try to agree on a similar breakdown
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=208012&mesg_id=208286
208286, Also, if we were to try to agree on a similar breakdown
Posted by kfine, Mon Jun-15-15 07:48 AM
according to sex and gender:

SEX vs GENDER

Biological Traits (congenital)
------------------------------
Element: sex
Outer Indentifiers: Genitalia, Chromosomes, Endocrine profile (i.e. hormone levels), Sexual dimorphisms

Element: Sexual attraction
Outer Identifier: Sexual orientation (eg.hetero,bi,queer,etc.)

Shared Experience (Participatory)
---------------------------------
Element: Gender Performance
Outer Indentifiers: Clothing, Hair style/length, Makeup/grooming, Preferred name/pronoun, etc.

Element: Dating/relationships
Outer Identifier: Sexual activity (eg. M4W,T4M,etc.)

Societal Perception (Imposed)
-----------------------------
Element: Govt Classification
Outer Identifiers: Census sex designation, Medical sex designation

Element: Discrimination
Outer Identifiers: Disenfranchisement, Inequity, Misogyny, Transphobia,Homophobia, etc.

Then to me, I read a recurring question of authenticity in the discordant perspective (pro-transgender and anti-transracial). People seem to judge Trans persons on how 'thoroughly' they attempt to re-identify. So referring again to the above domains (biological vs participatory vs societal/systemic), people seem to register re-identification as inauthentic if due diligence is lacking across any of the domains. ESPECIALLY the societal/systemic domain.

With the Caitlyn Jenner vs Rachel Dolezal example, Dolezal's trans experience rubs people the wrong way because she fabricated details of her ancestry and shared history. Since Black American ancestry and shared history is so tightly integrated with the systemic discrimination experienced by the population, her fabrication comes across like a slap in the face (not necessarily my opinion, just my observation). Thus, her attempt to re-identify comes off as inauthentic and she proceeds to offend.

Jenner, on the other hand, made every attempt to challenge the identifiers across each domain that are within her power. While she
reportedly has chosen not to alter her genitalia at this time, she changed most of her remaining sexual dimorphisms (breasts, adam's apple removal, hair removal) and endocrine profile (hormone treatments). She has competely embraced female gender performance (hair/makeup, clothing, female name change). And while she has not confirmed whether there is/was/will be a change in her sexual activity, she has described a long battle of feeling gender-closeted most of her life and has already been the victim of varying levels of transphobia from both loved ones and the general public. Thus her re-identification strikes people as authentic and is more or less embraced. So much so that she can comfortably adopt the role of an LGBTQ advocate without backlash.

If a trans(-gender, -ethnic, -racial, whatever) person goes all in, shows due respect for the cause and experiences some degree of the injustices common to the population they are trying to identify with, it appears that's when they get the love.

Not my thought process, but it isn't actually that unintuitive.