Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectThere's a huge problem in this.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=208012&mesg_id=208208
208208, There's a huge problem in this.
Posted by denny, Sat Jun-13-15 06:06 PM
It seems like this woman is saying she'll accept them as long as they have a similar worldview to her. That's not how identity works. There are plenty of black woman who don't share this women's framework of oppression. That does not negate their identities as black women.

It can't be a case of.....'if you're worldview is similar to mine then welcome aboard'.

That being said....the article does go in a direction that I'm heading in. With both transgender and transrace....there needs to be an acknowledgement that they have not experienced the world in the same way that someone with a similar identity to them has. For example....a person with a penis who identifies as a woman should still take responsible for male privilege up until the time they are no longer perceived as a male.

And that's exactly why Rachel is so wrong here. She is pretending that she didn't grow up with white privilege. She did, regardless of who she feels like on the inside. I've never met a transrace person....but if someone claimed to feel native American on the inside while recognizing that their actual experience growing up was different than a native person....well, I guess I've arrived to a position of tolerance and acceptance for that. But I would NOT accept anything they would say in terms of negating the privilege and experience of how they were PERCEIVED before transitioning.