Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectthis one hit me and my son hard
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=203050&mesg_id=203303
203303, this one hit me and my son hard
Posted by RobOne4, Mon Apr-25-16 06:24 AM
like most of you music is a huge part of my life. Ive posted on here and on twitter about how much my son loves music. When he was born I would make mix tapes and play them for him. I would strap him into his car seat and set him down near me while I messed around on my turntables. Sometimes we would just go on drives around town listening to music. No destination in mind just enjoying the day.

Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, and Prince made up the majority of the soundtrack to our days. We continued the afternoon drives and the nights in front of the turntables as he got older. I kept introducing him to new music but Michael Jackson and Prince remained his favorites. At 2 years old he would be in the backseat requesting a Prince or Michael Jackson song.

Shit now when he hears a Prince song he has never heard before he knows it is Prince because of the production. When he heard Jungle Love for the first time we were in the car heading some where and it comes on the radio. When the song finished he tells me it sounded like a Prince song but that wasnt Prince singing. So I start giving him Prince's history with The Time. The whole time my wife was just in awe like what 6 year old can pick up on something like that? Not that long ago he heard Ready for the World's Oh Shiela and thought it was a Prince song...like many people do. I told him it wasnt and we argued about it all the way home. No it is not a Prince song. Yeah I think you are wrong dad this is Prince. No its not. Youre wrong son! We argued until we got home and I showed him the credits on the 12". He still says I am wrong,

The day of his death I found out while I was cutting the lawn. Stopped to take a water break and checked my phone and the first picture that showed up on my instagram was a picture of Prince, It wasnt from someone that normally posted about music so I knew something was up. My wife is still mad at me because I just kept reading the news and stories about him and didnt finish the yard before I had to leave for work. She had to sweep up all the grass on the driveway and sidewalk. Oops.

Anyway I got to work and went about my day. Checking twitter here and there. Then a fellow okp(Tish) reminded me of a video I posted almost 6 years ago of my son dancing to Prince https://youtu.be/G1KnG-1nGrU Then it hits me that he doesnt know that Prince passed. I left to work before he got home from school. So I called home and asked the wife if she told him and she hadnt. So she put him on the phone and I let him know. He was quiet for a little while then said why do all the good singers like Michael Jackson and Prince keep dying? Then he said now we cant go to a Prince concert together. I had promised to take him to see Prince when he was older. He was pretty bummed out about it for a couple of days. Since Thursday when he is in the car all he allows me to listen to is Prince.