Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectI did not follow him at Mizzou, but..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=198911&mesg_id=199431
199431, I did not follow him at Mizzou, but..
Posted by BabyYoda, Wed Sep-03-14 04:21 PM
>i don't know enough about combines to even understand
>why they do it without pads on.
>
>i only know enough about sports to make small talk with
>ppl that watch ESPN.
>
>which is to say, i don't know much about sports.
>
>
>so i didn't post about any of these things on this post.
>i posted about ppl's (predictably) ridiculous reaction to
>Michael Sam coming out
>and kissing his boyfriend.
>
>
I may have caught a game or two, but most of my knowledge of him came via highlights as well as media coverage of him coming out. But, I seen him at the combine. Teams use the combine to gather data about a player in order to determine his skill level and draft placement. The combine can't measure intangibles and those who do well at the combine do not automatically do well in a game nor does a guy who does not do well at a combine do horrible in a game. There are other factors that come into play.

On the NFL network, they have been covering Mike Sam and something he said resonated with me when he was interviewed. He said something to the effect that people question his speed, but he finds a way to sack the quarterback. That is something that is intangible. I heard Marshall Faulk say that you can't teach that(even though you can teach technique). Mike has intangibles. But, he lacks versatility and some super athletic skill which is why he is where he is. If he decides to play special teams and play different positions on the DL, then the Cowboys may come up with a steal. Only time will tell what happens.

LASTLY, I do not have to tell you that many people still have issues with homosexuality. We as a society has become more tolerant, but many people within our society do not accept them as being equal to heterosexuals. It is unfortunate, but it is what it is. At least some progress is being made and Mike is helping to bring tolerance to the gridiron.