Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectHow is he a scrub?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=198911&mesg_id=199414
199414, How is he a scrub?
Posted by BabyYoda, Wed Sep-03-14 08:44 PM
>>What is wrong with being on a practice squad? I remember
>when
>>Cameron Wake was in the Canadian league before getting a
>shot
>>with the Miami Dolphins. He did not start off in the league,
>>but look at him now? Point is that every athlete has a
>
>
>
>And I'd call any other Scurb player a SCRUB. But people are
>acting like dude is being done wrong. I don't care if he's a
>GAY player in the NFL, but people are acting like just because
>he's gay that his SCRUB status should be overlooked. NAH.
>
>And as for being a PS player, ain't no body ever been
>celebrated fro making the PS. So why are people celebrating
>Sam being on the PS?
>
>Why? Please tell me why is his PS status even in the news? Is
>it perhaps because he's GAY?
>
>Come'on yo. On one hand people are like why does his sexuality
>matter and then on the other hand his sexuality is celebrated
>because he's open about it as a player in the NFL..
>
>GOHWT...
>
>
>
>
I am sure you know that it is very difficult to make an NFL team. Very difficult! How many people get to even try out for a team? How many people get to make it through 3 preseason games?

Next, I do not think the Rams did him wrong. He was given a chance and did not make the cut. But, they really did not need him, to boot, due to them(Rams)being extremely deep at his position.

I do believe that some fans are doing him wrong. I also think that it is a big deal for a man to come out and share to the world that he is gay. I understand why that would be a huge deal to a gay person when they do not get a chance to see an openly gay man play at the NFL level. I would understand if a Pacific Islander would be happy to see one of their own make it on a team or someone who practices a certain religion, etc.

The world is changing, man. Gay folks are tired of being silent and being underrepresented. They demand to be recognized and respected. I can dig it.

Lastly, him making a practice squad is news because he is an openly gay man playing in an overwhelmingly hetero male sport. He is trailblazing. Mike is a hero to many people, gay and straight. He is breaking down stereotypes and helping people become more tolerant. In a few years, hearing about gay men playing in the league will not be big news. But, until that happens, him even having a chance to be on a team without being subjected to disrespect and abuse is a huge step in the right direction.

Oh, dude is not a scrub. What he lacks is some things that he can't help. But, there are some things he lacks that can be coached. Give dude a chance and see what happens. If he can't make it past the PS, then he can say that he was given a chance which is something I doubt he would have had, say 20 years ago.