Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectI'm not talking about regional or cultural upbringing.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=198911&mesg_id=199032
199032, I'm not talking about regional or cultural upbringing.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun May-11-14 01:09 PM
I'm talking about a child's capacity to grasp and understand concepts.

For the record, I grew up in Jacksonville in a conservative Christian home and went to a conservative Christian school until sixth grade. I'm not some snooty Yank Liberal commie whatever.

It's plenty easy for a Christian dad of any race to say to his kid, "They love each other and are happy." The dad can then explain why he doesn't like homosexuality, because he believes the Bible clearly states homosexuality is a sin.

But the actual act of explaining a kiss is incredibly easy to explain and comprehend. It's probably far easier to explain that than to explain the concept of religious sin. But that's the father's choice, if he wants to teach his kid that.

Plus, for kids now, it's not going to be like it was when we were kids. Young kids and teenagers are more liable to be open with their homosexuality earlier. Kids are going to be exposed to open homosexuality at school or in public, whether a parent likes it or not. It's a conversation that every parents who doesn't care for homosexuality should prepare to have.