Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subject"Niggas Don't Like Black Women No More, Moe"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=19759&mesg_id=19759
19759, "Niggas Don't Like Black Women No More, Moe"
Posted by Mash_Comp, Fri Dec-05-03 04:49 AM
That's me to my cousin a couple of days ago. We were discussing this sudden fascination men have with the "exotic". I think what sparked it off was that wack ass Indian Flute blickey from TimbaLand and Magooey. I realize there's nothing wrong with fantasy or appreciation -- but it suddenly seems like replacement.

I haven't seen a truly dark, natural haired woman in any prominent spotlight (or sharing equal camera time) with the curly haired, straight haired, thin featured women that permeate the screen. And I do understand preference is just that -- what you enjoy and are interested in. Still...it's that old thought that what's different is ultimately better because it's new -- and that's a bullshit philosophy.

The Latin thing is dead so I guess it's natural to want the next closest thing...I could've sworn Jamaican women were making a comeback but even now, our artists are using Canadian Trini women (who, by and large, are lighter than true countrywomen) to represent all things Island.

I didn't see anything wrong with Roshumba when she was on top for a while. I don't see why N'Bushe Wright (as fine as she is) is being typecast because of her decision to wear her hair natural -- but let her perm or put that weave back in...she'd get a rack of jobs.

I had a point somewhere in this..but I lost it.

Discuss if you care to.