Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectI think it's just volume. more people on any given street
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=195253&mesg_id=195296
195296, I think it's just volume. more people on any given street
Posted by dgonsh, Tue Oct-28-14 01:03 PM
but i see it happen all the time in toronto too. Men are often shameless and disgusting and think it's a compliment. It's not. It's scary for women. And the countless comments of "it's just a compliment. these women should appreciate the compliment that their beauty is being acknowledged" is completely asinine and backwards. In a world where studies indicate that 40-60% of woman have experienced sexual harassment, and many of those have been victims of sexual assault, it is not okay to comment on a womans appearance that she does not invite. Even if a guy thinks he's doing something innocent, it may be incredibly scary or creepy to a woman, especially one that is walking by herself.

You saw two different men just walk with her. Can you imagine how terrifying that is? Who does that? In my opinion that goes beyond sexual harassment, and is a form of assault. People confuse assualt for battery, but as some definitions say "assault is often defined as an attempt to injure to someone else, and in some circumstances can include threats or threatening behavior against others"

If you are reading this and are one of the people that stands outside a store, or bar, or club, or bodega, or anywhere and you have ever said "smile" to a woman, you should rethink who you are as a person and change your ways immediately. It's disgusting.