Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectTwo separate questions.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=187220&mesg_id=187473
187473, Two separate questions.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-18-15 10:45 AM
>in any event, It makes sense to you to have a league with
>elimination style playoffs AND to give out participation
>trophies?

Sure. It's not what I would've wanted, but I can certainly see how certain kids would have liked a commemoration of their hard work during the season.

Can't it be detrimental to the kids to tell them
>'hey, because you lost you can't play next week?'

No one tells their kid that, lmao. You tell them, "The season was going to end eventually, and the point is you tried your absolute best, and I'm very proud of you. If you think you could have done better, I'll help you practice for next season."

The idea that the season is over can be heartbreaking, but not "detrimental." I save the word "detrimental" for things like "ripping trophies out of a kid's hands and tossing them into the trash can and posting about it to the world on Instagram to tell the world the lesson you taught your 6 year old kid about losing," lol.

And re: the title of your reply, if he's so adamantly against participation trophies, he may want to talk to the league/coach ahead of time to see if this is that type of league. Otherwise, he may just have to cope with the fact that his kid may be handed a participation trophy. And he could choose to respond in a way that isn't yanking that trophy away from his kid.