Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectIf you wan't freedom get on a plane to some other country.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=183224&mesg_id=183428
183428, If you wan't freedom get on a plane to some other country.
Posted by Atillah Moor, Thu Oct-29-15 07:56 PM
Where this doesn't happen often if at all.

>The adults are the trained professionals. She is a CHILD who
>recently lost her mother and was placed in foster care. Anyone
>working in a school setting should know when a kid is in
>crisis. Her actions are immaterial.

Where is the disagreement about the adults actions? This information about her particular circumstance is new info so please don't bring it up like people knew that from the jump and in light of those details I'd agree -- it's immaterial.

I do still stand by what I said as far as seeing this type of obstinate refusal as being something that seems to be more common among our kids than it is among others in my classroom experience though so do with that what you will. I know it's not a popular statement -- so be it.

>She's African too. Do you mean an African immigrant? Well the
>Liberian and Malian kids in the two Philly public school I
>taught in turned up on the daily. So did the Cambodian and
>Vietnamese kids. Foh with your stereotypical model minority
>ideals.
go

I already addressed this type of emotional response with Ambient1. You can search for it if you like and I mean culturally African not of African middle passage descent. Right now it sounds like you're describing a kid here or there. Are you saying just as many, more than, or fewer than the African American kids?

We don't need to teach our kids to obey authority
>figures. We need to teach them to be strategic and how to
>defend themselves against racist attacks.

This is where I want to tap out because I said the exact same thing so I don't understand why you're repeating it back to me in a more confusing manner. I say more confusing because not including instruction about when to obey authority and the value to self in doing so as a child seems unwise and therefore not strategic at all.

>>In the high school setting at what point do these girls
>comply
>>or do they ride it out until the guns show up? Serious
>>question.
>
>Some complied, some didn't. I never called an administrator to
>handle anything in my class. That indicates the teacher has
>poor classroom management skills. I'd ask them to put it away.
>Some did. The ones who didn't were reminded of the consequence
>and written up. I then moved on with my lesson. The teacher in
>this case was an idiot. It's a school, not a prison. Or maybe
>our public schools are actually prisons these days. Smh.

Yes they pretty much are. Same things happen in prison as they do in schools these days. Again we're in agreement about the adults

>>Black people need to stop buying into the idea that our kids
>>are
>>>anymore poorly behaved than others kids.
>>
>>This isn't my focus, my focus is that our kids are not being
>>trained how to deal with what you describe below.
>
>
>How should we train them. Again, I believe we should teach our
>kids to be strategic and how to defend themselves. I'm not
>down with the idea of teaching obedience. They're human
>beings.

As a kid obedience is the safest route and one must learn the rules before they can successfully bend or break them right? And for real don't kids need to obey their folks? That in and of itself can lead to better outcomes in school, but teaching children the reality of American society and history are good starting points. Kids need to know that the country is and always will be anti black and that at the end of the day authority figures are looking for them first so be on guard and learn what the blind spots are. It shouldn't have to be that way, but it is.

>
>> The only difference
>>>is that our kids face higher levels of punishment when they
>>>act up.
>>
>>True. So why aren't our kids acting with this knowledge?
>Fair
>>question no?
>
>Because they're kids, not robots. Kids make mistakes. They do
>dumb things. They talk back. They forget they're black and
>have to be more careful, because that kind of thinking is
>unnatural and just wrong.

That's a valid answer, but so is that they aren't getting enough of that knowledge and even now our own culture is betraying us. It's hard to find any messaging in what children are absorbing that would help re-enforce that. And of course it's unnatural and wrong that's why my belief is that we should be teaching our kids a second language, promoting STEM based educations, and hopefully they can at least have the option to leave this place and live a more natural existence somewhere else, but hey -- a lot of us think we have it good here.