Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectthey way Black leaders talk about it it's as if you're barred permanantly
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=182383&mesg_id=182606
182606, they way Black leaders talk about it it's as if you're barred permanantly
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Nov-09-15 06:44 PM
What I'm saying is that, yes, you can't vote while you're in prison (unless you're in Maine or Vermont), but in most states your rights are restored upon release from prison or from state supervision and even in cases where it's "permanent" you can still petition to have it restored.

The rhetoric we so often hear doesn't align with reality.

I get what you're saying about lengthy sentences effectively barring a person from ever voting, but that ain't every convicted felon's reality.

Shit, one of my old college roommates caught a federal felony charge for counterfeiting and did 14 months of fed time. Once he was released he had no problem voting.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.