Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectI honestly think this is overhyped. The numbers don't add up
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=182383&mesg_id=182604
182604, I honestly think this is overhyped. The numbers don't add up
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Nov-09-15 06:21 PM
>
>>I mean, we've got our own "illegals" with limited rights
>that
>>make even less than undocumented migrants and have even less
>>liberty (those in prison). I am not absolving serious
>>criminals of their actions but there is at least an implicit
>>agreement between government and business that a certain
>group
>>of people is open for exploitation and both are partially
>>complicit in the sheer size of the group as their policies
>>leave little means of escape from that exploited class.
>
>cant even vote or shit
>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_disenfranchisement

"Unrestricted

Maine and Vermont are the only states with unrestricted voting rights for people who are felons. Both states allow the person to vote during incarceration, via absentee ballot and after terms of conviction end.

Ends after release

In thirteen states and the District of Columbia, disenfranchisement ends after incarceration is complete: District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Utah.

Ends after parole

In four states, disenfranchisement ends after incarceration and parole (if any) is complete: California, Colorado, Connecticut, New York.

Ends after probation

Twenty states require not only that incarceration/parole if any are complete but also that any probation sentence (which is often an alternative to incarceration) is complete: Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska (Completion of probation + 2 years; treason convicts permanently lose the right to vote), New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, West Virginia (The prosecutor can request the court to revoke voting rights if financial obligations are unmet), Wisconsin."

I don't have a problem with felons not being able to vote while in prison, and at the same time I don't care if they can (Maine and Vermont both allow this), but it seems that, out of 50 states, only 11 will permanently take away your right to vote, and even then there are stipulations on that (i.e. in AZ if it's your first felony offense you automatically get your rights restored after you're out of prison/off probation. If it's your second or more you can petition the county to get your rights restored).

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000286

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.