Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectMore fun with Amazon reviews
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=181714&mesg_id=181870
181870, More fun with Amazon reviews
Posted by imcvspl, Tue Jan-20-15 11:13 AM
So I've gotten more and more into reading them. Most recent delve was into the reviews for Karen Lord's Galaxy Games. There are only a few for the new one atm but for there's a lot of 'I don't get it' in those. So then I go to the ones for The Best of all Possible Worlds. I go straight to the worst reviews, which to some credit for that book are only 2 stars. But the thing I found interesting is that two thirds of the 2 star reviews came from folk in the Amazon Vine program. I didn't really know about that, and found out its the program where folk that review heavily on Amazon get early reads if they'll post a review. I wonder how they choose which books go to whom because it would seem that ultimately all of these reviews were from people that had different expectations of sci-fi, and that's their main critique. That kinda sets it up ya know.

But then there's just something to be said about the general expectations of the audience. People looking for sci fi epics and being disappointed with deep character and cultural analysis. And perhaps that is the bread and butter so to speak of the minority sci-fi writer. Specifically on the placing of culture in the sci-fi context. Is it telling that sci fi readers don't really care about that or put another way find that type of exposition off putting.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."