Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectRE:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=181714&mesg_id=181854
181854, RE:
Posted by astralblak, Sun Nov-30-14 05:51 PM
Juno, is possibly my favorite contemporary writer, yet for as much as I loved This Is How You Lose Her, I felt that was an "easy" book for him to produce. This though, was just really fucn good and imaginative, and inspiring.

but he's "chickening" out of finishing it. When I spoke to him at skylight books two months ago, he said he hasn't touched it in over a year. he's a slow writer though. I really hope he finishes this

as for me, I'm working on realist/literary linked short story collection revolving around two cousins in the periphery of Los Angeles County. I'm about 2/3rds (well, really half way) done with it. I like were I am in terms of my voice and tone. I'm still working on refining my perspective and "designing the setting(s)".

also, after reading a lot of sci-fi recently, I wrote my first short sci-fi narrative. it ended up being about 23 pages long. My mentor believes that I need to keep going because it's more than a short story.

basically its 2165 global warming has claimed vast areas on the ocean borders of the northern continent, but civilization is still thriving. Black and Brown have claimed (through war) big chunks of what was once America and are now regions. What is now middle America for the most part is still predominantly white and their militants are trying to recolonize / conquer the west. also near half the population, in the non-white regions, are mixed

the protagonist, Robeson, is a film maker who is in love with a woman, Sasha, who left him to create one of the emerging autonomous areas, away from the megalopolis regions, which just ended up mirroring much of "our world". Robeson ends up wrapped up in the conflict to defend "these areas/regions" after visiting her.

anyway, i'm still trying to refine the tech and look of the world, and see where I could, If continue to expand. I want to ask Tananarive Due if she can take a look at what I have currently. She was my mentor last semester.