Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectSlavery in the future/on other planets
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=181714&mesg_id=181845
181845, Slavery in the future/on other planets
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Nov-06-14 12:33 PM
Book I'm reading now has a slavery component and it made me think about how this is a regular theme in the genre. The implications I'm reading is that there's some sort of predisposition in even alien cultures to have forms of slavery. As in highly advanced civilizations, superior to our own would still succumb to the temptation of free labor at the expense of anothers freedoms.

It's always interesting how it's handled and there's obviously a parallel in how it's treated and some form of appologist attitude toward our own history of slavery. Like see even in the future out in space it would have happened and perhaps we handled it better than even aliens would.

It's a strange thing. not any reflection of the book I'm reading mind you. I think their handling of it is great and it makes sense in the context, but the general topic raises an eyebrow for me.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."