Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectI understood it from the jump
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=181714&mesg_id=181822
181822, I understood it from the jump
Posted by imcvspl, Wed Jul-16-14 03:48 PM
I just think it weird to start throwing around such ideas when evaluating black writers because by many we too were a niche not on the level of literature. If we're talking about the great black american novel my idea isn't about literary devices but what book is presenting an authentically black experience in a way true to our language. The one I mentioned captured that to a tee even if it isn't necessarily the best writing we've had from black folk. It was interesting (who was it spm?) their take on the protaganist being super man like. I think it was mythical but never superhuman, and always in the face of the type of adversity that's just real to our experience in this country. How did we get through that shit? Because that extra resolve was needed. The book emphasized that but not IMO to unbelievable heights. But it's been a while so maybe I need to reread.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."