Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectGalaxy Games was a great read.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=181714&mesg_id=181795
181795, Galaxy Games was a great read.
Posted by imcvspl, Sun Feb-01-15 11:38 AM
It was obviously further world building from the previous, though other than subtleties it did stand on its own enough fro me to not feel like I had missed essential parts of the story by not reading the first book. Yet it had the clear feel of a series that leaves me longing to learn more about the details of the world to bring it all together.

The writing was really well done, and the characterization of the 'alien' cultures and how they relate to each other socially as a reflection of basic human social interactions was great. As a huge leguin fan she'll need a lot more under her belt to live up to the parallel praise she's been receiving, but she's weaving a wonderful world which has pulled me in. Though stepping back from it now as i type this paragraph I'm reminded of how it closely mirrors leguin's hainish books at least in the formation of it. Hmmmmm...

Getting the first book now, and there better be a third because other wise that was one of the worst endings ever. Actually it still was pretty bad as an ending (not with what happened just how it just ends, when there's obvious still more to be told).

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."