Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectSo how do we counter this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=181714&mesg_id=181770
181770, So how do we counter this
Posted by imcvspl, Wed May-28-14 01:52 PM
I mean at this point it is institutionalized (evident by the whole Hugo debacle), which means it's not just about creating alternatives but rather somehow affecting that existant institution. I don't think it's just about writing more diverse material, I'm quite certain that a lot of that stuff already exists, but the majority of it likely at the independent level that keeps it on the fringe (if lucky) or completely outsied (more likely) of what's been established. So situated it's easy for the publishers and orgs to make diversity picks without having to engage with the full.

I wonder how many of the independent writers are members of the SFWA. Is there an internal caucus for addressing these things. Ultimately it's not so much about the writing but getting the writing to the same exposure level.

But then again I think this goes back to the separations by subgenre. I think there are levels of credibility by genre where hard sf is at the top of the list. With it being the least diverse it keeps the diversity from trickling down so to speak.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."