Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectI was reading a bunch of those guys
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=181714&mesg_id=181765
181765, I was reading a bunch of those guys
Posted by imcvspl, Wed May-28-14 10:00 AM
>one of either gregory benford or greg bear (whoever wrote COSM
>) was writing a black character and it sounded like ronald
>reagan or some fucking body wrote what they thought a black
>character should be. i was gagging through that. (the story
>was about one of these advanced particle accelerators fucking
>up and creating a black hole on earth and destroying the
>planet).

back in the 90's-00's I was just devouring those. Pretty much can't remember a lick of them now (though I'm pretty sure I read the one you're describing).

The thing I find most interesting is that so much of what was being talked about by them is obsolete. I mean sure there could be a black hole opened up in the center of the earth but seriously are we really worried about that anymore? There are so many other relevant issues that they just didn't put in their books.

I read William Gibson's non fiction book and it was kind of eye opening on the cyber punk movement because he basically through them under the bus. Like yeah that shit was completely wrong. That's why he shifted to short term projections.

ONe I do want to go back and reread was Bruce Sterling's "Distraction" I remember it being a laugh out loud riot for the absurdity of it all and yet I think if I read it today it might have more relevance than even he imagined.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."