Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectExcellent post. I will try to be succint.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=181714&mesg_id=181745
181745, Excellent post. I will try to be succint.
Posted by Scarface_7, Tue May-27-14 09:54 AM
Agreed on all points offered so far, its quite weird but rather telling about the caucasian mind. Weird how even in the future our people are relegated to the 'back of the bus' so to speak. I've spoken here about this a number of times. I first noted it in the work of Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth series) every 'ebony skinned' person was talked about like they were an animal. All magic or physical combat echoed this. It seems like Science Fiction is the last bastion of the noble savage that has been in literature since, like, forever. I was 12 when I read Goodkind then I went on to George RR Martin, same thing.... (where are the black folk in Westeros? They're there, but one has to read between the lines a bit, with the exception of the pirate dude that was the Dragon Queens dude for a time, I think-as it was more than a decade back when I read them- all the brown folk came from the 'Sun Islands)

What can we do? Write more books, I guess. With the browning of Amerikkka I am glad this issue is being discussed more freely. NK Jemisin (as noted above) has written beautifully poignant pieces about race/gender in sci fi as of late. If you havent read her work I highly recommend it. I have more to say but can never arrange my thoughts properly in this forum. COMIC BOOKS (or I guess their creators) are guilty as well. Barracuda in the Punisher series or anything by Garth Ennis really..... I could continue. Peace