Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectwould you recommend the books? the author?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=181714&mesg_id=181731
181731, would you recommend the books? the author?
Posted by imcvspl, Sun May-25-14 06:56 PM
>there's a lot of latent brown people fear and misogyny in
>the books. i'm going to read the next one (not going to let
>politics keep me from reading a book).

why not? i think my problem is i just can't remove that context, and it starts ruining the read for me as all I can do is project ulterior motives onto every thing they write. but i can also put it into context if there's something I'm trying to get out of the reading. In this case I was just looking for some quick entertainment. the present information pretty much ruined the possibility of that.

>but i suspect it will
>be unsatisfying because the protagonist is supposed to be this
>fulcrum of history but he doesn't actually do anything other
>than be there.

I figured based on the summaries I'd read it seemed like it could only go good for two books without getting to the punch and the third one seemed like it hadn't happened yet. but i was good for the first two.

>i do think we have to remember that science fiction is a genre
>dominated by white men with time on their hands, and thanks to
>e-publishing we have access to all of their thoughts without a
>veneer of editing.

yeah not so surprisingly sf writers seem to think the internet is theirs to say as they please. i'm kinda wishing i hadn't opened this door because now i feel like i have to be more diligent in what's generally just my casual fun reading.

incidentally knowing the wright books would you recommend anything?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."