Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectI read this one at work at 5am.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=181195&mesg_id=181231
181231, I read this one at work at 5am.
Posted by denny, Mon Nov-16-15 08:46 PM
I kinda thought to myself....'How should I teach my kids to avoid me. Their enemy/caregiver/oppressor/breadwinner.' So I kinda trolled it by writing a long reply (the first one) pretending I did not understand the spirit of the OP....figuring perhaps that the ridiculousness of the premise may be illuminated by my feigned misinterpretation. Was disappointed by the lack of acknowledgement of my reply...but whatevs.

In anycase, overall I don't get offended much here. In fact...I'd go further in saying that discussions about race here are wayyyyyy more interesting and thought-provoking than any mostly white environment I might find myself in. I don't think it's quite as bad around here that some people are claiming in this thread. I'd much rather talk about race here than with the white people I work with. I want to like the people I work with...so I'm not likely to engage in those types of discussions. Sometimes I disagree with the popular thought here and I lost a friend on here who thought I was espousing racist views. But then I'll find myself in a conversation at work and realize I'm actually pretty extreme in my views (towards the progressive side) as soon as I'm outside the confines of this place which may sometimes classify me as non-progressive.

Personally, I've been simultaneously accused of being privileged and naive about street life AND a hopeless street-bum crackhead. Sometimes in the same thread. I found the either/or nature of that kinda interesting....like it's somehow 'cool' to live the streetlife, unless you live the streetlife.

Some of the comments in this one genuinely offended me though:

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12919554&mesg_id=12919554&listing_type=search

Can't think of another post that offended me that much off the top of my head. So yah, that one bugged me. Couldn't help but wonder the resources and privileges afforded to the people making the comments in that thread. I mean, race isn't EVERYTHING. And such a lack of empathy and sympathy kinda disgusted me. The rockafella laws, mandatory sentencing and racist police enforcement weren't invented and enforced by white, middle-class heroin addicts from New England so I don't see the point in being so vindictive against THEM. But whatevs....

End of day...I don't think the way people talk about white people is problematic here. On the occasion where I see it, I am free to debate it. And mostly, I find the views here a refreshing change from other internet corners. This place really has informed and changed some of my views about race. And I can tell that when I'm in different environments that don't share the accepted paradigms of OKP.