Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectyeah i mean i wasnt gonna take it there explicitly but ...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=180395&mesg_id=180535
180535, yeah i mean i wasnt gonna take it there explicitly but ...
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Dec-04-15 10:36 AM
it is the same argument people make with blacks, latinos, etc all the time.

i once had a guy, smart guy and very wealthy, who said he agreed with something mark cuban said and that if he sees a guy with a hoody and a bunch of tats he thinks differently than seeing someone in a three-piece suit. he said emphatically AND THAT'S OK!

i told him, yeah, i see them differently, too. the guy in the hoodie might take my wallet and the guy in the suit might take my whole life's savings.

that was just an ice breaker but i went on to say that that is a function of his environment. he grew up in a small town in canada and once he left he lived a life of fame, wealth and privilege as a professional athlete and later a broadcaster. conversely i grew up in a lower-middle-class neighborhood with lots of people who wore baggy clothes and had tats. if i crossed the street every time i saw someone like that, i'd be playing frogger all day. you learn to discern the *real* signs of risk and not to alienate yourself from someone just based on something so trivial.

same thing here. i am all for rooting out violent people and jihadists but to paint a billion-plus people with that brush is obviously wildly inaccurate. if every muslim or even a simple majority were of that mind, they'd have an army of hundreds of millions.