Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectTalking about what?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=180208&mesg_id=180360
180360, Talking about what?
Posted by denny, Tue Nov-10-15 01:23 PM
Halloween costumes?

This link doesn't make me think about Halloween costumes. It makes me think about the nature of campus environments that are moving away from free speech and debate and towards a sort of facist, echo-chamber of political correctness. That's what this link evokes for me anyways.

It's further indication of what Obama talked about a couple months ago:

I've heard of some college campuses where they don’t want to have a guest speaker who is too conservative. Or they don’t want to read a book if it has language that is offensive to African Americans, or somehow sends a demeaning signal towards women"

“I’ve got to tell you, I don’t agree with that either. I don’t agree that you, when you become students at colleges, have to be coddled and protected from different points of views."

What she says kinda crystallizes this for me. "It's not about an intellectual space....It's about creating a home where people feel welcome". I couldn't disagree more. It's not nursery school, it's college/university. If you don't have the fortitude and strength to hear opposing viewpoints and argue them by merit than don't go. But you can't shush people.