Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectYou have to understand what it's like being on the receiving end
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=180208&mesg_id=180215
180215, You have to understand what it's like being on the receiving end
Posted by ndibs, Mon Nov-09-15 09:43 PM
And a minority at an institution like that.

It's kind of like in hs, when I had to sit in sex ed and the teacher told the class...
Just so you know, if you don't want to date anyone black, that's not racist. That's just a preference, just like I prefer to date blondes.

If this was in a class and they were having an intellectual discussion about this, it'd be different. Here you have a person in authority, essentially discouraging students from being racially sensitive and minimizing the cultural appropriation issue and if that persons job is to create a home for students and make them feel welcome, then that IS a failure.

It is already difficult for minority students at places like this and it shows a lack lf empathy. In reality, it could be perfectly intellectually correct or at least debatable to say something like not dating blacks isn't racist, or dressing up like Milan isn't racist. (Not saying I agree). That's irrelevant bc creating an intellectual discussion isn't their job. Creating a home for students is.

But to understand this you really have to be able to put yourself in these students shoes and most people can't.