Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectRE: *daps*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=179829&mesg_id=179960
179960, RE: *daps*
Posted by Novembersgift, Wed Dec-23-15 04:23 PM
My LS who is in seminary right now just posted about this recently on FB:
"I'm feeling so weird about Mary, this word "virgin," and the daggon Angel standing in her living room. This "virgin" word makes me itch. I don't care how it was intended. How we use it now to talk about Mary? Makes me itch.
How you gon say "no thanks" to an angel in your living room, fam? How?!?!"

The discussion emerging is interesting with several other women who went to seminary speaking about preaching the power of Mary in her own right and not necessarily deriving from her virginity.

" I'll have to share my sermon with you that I'm preaching this Sunday. The turn that I'm making is that Mary's virginity might be a device used by the writers to express how the Christ-power that is to grow within her is not put there by any other human--especially not a man. And then taking that to discuss the Christ-power in us all and how it's between us and God. This is not to say the whole thing doesn't make me itch, too. That's just where I'm taking it this week. We have whitewashed/"purified" Mary so much that her virginity has become about her "purity" rather than her power to house and deliver Christ in the midst of her social location. And yet she still got stuck in a barn."

Just thought that ongoing convo was interesting in that it's being led and engaged in by Christians, theologians, women, feminists, queer POC, etc. Not just people trying to "troll" on here.