Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectthis is part of my point.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=179829&mesg_id=179890
179890, this is part of my point.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Dec-23-15 11:31 AM
what would've happened to Mary if she'd said she didn't want to be God's baby mama?

we see how He threatened others as you've pointed out.

given that Mary was a poor girl and God was the omnipotent deity - was she able to give meaningful consent to the conception? or was her will overborne?

i'd be more comfortable w/the story if God had given her at least a chance to consider the offer. hell, i'd feel better about it if God had actually made an OFFER and not merely issued a demand. b/c her womb is hers and she should've been able to decide for real if she wanted to be Jesus' mother. i dunno that she did. i dunno that she could've given actual consent b/c of the difference in the power she held versus the power God held.

i've never been okay w/the conception story though. i find it incredibly creepy (he sent an angel to her in the middle of the night) and now i think it's at least somewhat rapey.

and FTR i've read 2/3 of the Bible, player. i was a somewhat serious Xtian in my youth. i grew up attending church 2 or 3x per week. i was Baptist and then Pentecostal.