Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectbest advice was post #19, kids have to learn disciple and sacrifice...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=176461&mesg_id=176611
176611, best advice was post #19, kids have to learn disciple and sacrifice...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Nov-30-15 11:42 AM
whether you're talking about getting better at basketball or algebra.

In order to be good at anything you have to work at it.

I used to coach youth basketball and its obvious who on only practices AT practice and who actually works on their game on their own time. The kids that really want it come back better each year.

I've seen kids who dominated at the grade school/jr high level just because they were tall and/or athletic but when they got to high school and had to go against people that were just as tall and athletic as them but with better basketball skills they got exposed.

I've seen kids who were average at the grade school/jr high level but worked their asses off and ended up with D1 scholarships.

You might just want to have a heart to heart talk with your son and see if basketball is really what he wants to do. If it is he needs to understand the work he has to put in to do it.

It can be crushing for some kids when most of their teammates move to that next level whether its hs freshman ball, JV, or varsity, and they get CUT and left behind.