Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectI taught a kid with Downs. He wouldn't give a FUCK.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=174806&mesg_id=174881
174881, I taught a kid with Downs. He wouldn't give a FUCK.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jun-19-14 02:39 PM
I brought my girlfriend to the homecoming game, and Cory walks up. I tell him she's my girlfriend.

He gasps and does like a "get outta here" gesture. "NUH-UH!"

I said: "Uh-huh!"

He goes. "SHE'S HOT!"

I laugh. "Yes she is."

He turns away from me to her. "YOU'RE SO PRETTY!"

She smiles. "Thank you, Cory."

He turns back to me, as if he hadn't spoken to her at all. "... SHE'S HOT!"

"I know. Thanks, Cory."

"WOW! WOW!"

"Enjoy the game, Cory."

"WOW!"

etc.

I had him in my drama class for three years, and each year, inevitably, I'd pair him up for in-class work some time with a pretty girl. She'd read her lines in the scene, and I'd be alongside so I could coach him through his lines (he could read with difficulty, but his problem, as it is with most people with Downs, was expression, not comprehension).

She'd inevitably say a line, and Cory would pause. I'd think he's struggling with his line.

"What's the first word, Cory?"

He looks straight at the girl, ignoring me.

"YOU'RE HOT!"

The girl, always patient, moves on to the next line.

Cory then turns to me.

"SHE'S HOT!"

"Cory, we don't say that."

"BUT SHE'S HOT!"

"That may well be, but she's trying to work. So should you."

"BUT SHE'S--"

"Right, hot, we've established. And she's very flattered. But the best way to impress a pretty girl isn't to shout that she's hot, it's to work hard and help her get a good grade. Isn't that right, (insert name of girl here)?"

The girl would concur. Cory would understand. And he'd do the scene perfectly on the day of the performance. And he'd get a hug from the girl. And inevitably yell "WAHOO!!" afterward.

This happened every year. For three years. As if it hadn't happened the time before. Some would think Cory just didn't understand what he was doing. I disagree. I think he knew exactly what he was doing. He wanted that hug. And he earned it every time.

I could tell Cory stories for days, man. What an experience it was working with a kid like that.

Folks who work with the mentally impaired on a daily basis for their whole lives should have statues built in their honor and parades thrown at least once a year.