Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectYou do realize that sarcasm is not necessarily intended to be "funny", right?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=172069&mesg_id=172189
172189, You do realize that sarcasm is not necessarily intended to be "funny", right?
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jan-16-14 02:15 AM
>> I read your whole post, understood that you weren't
>>condoning murdering someone for texting during a movie AND
>>still thought it was in horrible taste.
>
>dude went for a joke, and it didn't work. *shrug* it
>happens, but don't lash out at everyone else for it.

The only "joke" I went for was a quote of Chris Rock's joke, which was absolutely appropriate in light of the situation. The rest of my post was sarcasm, which usually isn't intended to make people laugh.

Further, I didn't lash out at "everyone" because my sarcasm "didn't work". I lashed out at Buddy specifically, not because my supposed joke didn't work, but because he said my post made me a horrible person. I also "lashed out" at him for complaining about the supposed "focus" on texting and talking when the overwhelming majority of posts on talking and texting exist in this thread contextually as a direct response to his own question.

He- and apparently you- make it sound like I was Michael Richards and just went all bull in a china shop. Meanwhile, the truth is that I simply took the time to look at what was actually said and correct the wildly flailing distortions Buddy keeps trying to convey.