Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectYou didn't say it was in horrible taste though, did you?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=172069&mesg_id=172186
172186, You didn't say it was in horrible taste though, did you?
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 05:05 PM
It’s interesting- in one post in this very thread you say you “I try to make my snark comment focused instead of person focused (I don't mind saying "that's a dumb statement" but I try to avoid saying "you're dumb".”

You do say you failed in this post, but at no point have you owned that where it pertained to our exchange, what with you calling me a horrible person all. You didn’t say my comment was in horrible taste, you said it made me a horrible person.

If you can’t see where those two statements would result in wildly different responses, I don’t know what to tell you. If you said it was in horrible taste, I’d still contend that there’s really nothing in poor taste about it. It would be insensitive to say to a family member, at a press conference, or some other context with a direct connection to the event. I’d argue that it’s hardly poor taste to express an understanding of the frustration that arises in those situations while making it perfectly clear that you don’t shoot someone for talking/texting in movies just because it pisses you off.

That said, it’s odd that you would jump straight to “take your meds” for responding unkindly to you telling me what I posted makes me a horrible person. That’s exactly how we got to where we are right now.