Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectTexting at the movies is liable to get you murked #Florida (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=172069
172069, Texting at the movies is liable to get you murked #Florida (swipe)
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Jan-14-14 11:09 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/justice/florida-movie-theater-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

CNN) -- One man was shot dead after an argument over a cell phone conversation at a movie theater Monday afternoon in Wesley Chapel, Florida, Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco told CNN.

The victim and a woman who was also shot were sitting in a row in front of another couple.

"There was an altercation because the victim was using his cell phone. He was texting. He was making a lot of noise," Nocco said. "This led to a verbal altercation, the verbal altercation escalated."

The suspect pulled out a handgun and shot the man and the woman, who has non-life threatening injuries, with him. The sheriff said it was unclear if the shooter meant to hit the woman.

Nocco said there was no indication that the two couples involved knew each other.

A witness said the shooting occurred during the previews to the movie. Charles Cummings told reporters that the man who was shot sat two seats from his son. The man who was upset by the cell phone user argued with the victim then got up and left the theater for a brief time.

"He came back very irritated," Cummings said, who said he thought the shooter went to look for a theater manager.

The two men started arguing again and the cell phone user told the other man he was just texting his daughter. A few silent seconds elapsed and the argument started again. Cummings said the victim arose from his seat and talked to the shooter.

"Their voices started going up. There seems to almost be a confrontation," Cummings said. "Somebody throws popcorn; I'm not sure who threw it. And then bang, he was shot."

The victim staggered over and fell on Cummings and his son. A nurse who was in the theater performed CPR on the victim until the paramedics arrived, said Cummings, who like his son, had spatters of blood on his clothes.

A release from the sheriff's department said the suspected shooter was at the movie "Lone Survivor" with his wife.

A bystander detained the suspect until deputies arrived, the statement said.

The shooting happened at about 1:30 p.m. inside one of the theaters at the Grove 16 complex, sheriff's spokeswoman Melanie Snow said.

"This was an isolated altercation between two guests that escalated unexpectedly. The safety, security and comfort of our guests and team members are always our top priorities, and we are truly heartbroken by this incident," Cobb Theatres, which operates the Grove complex, said in a written statement.
172070, Boondocks Nigga Moment
Posted by Laz aka Black Native, Mon Jan-13-14 09:02 PM
Throwing items & all
172071, Another article with pics of the people involved...
Posted by Marbles, Mon Jan-13-14 09:24 PM

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/two-people-shot-at-wesley-chapel-movie-theater/2160784
172072, Pics arent showing up on my phone but I see no racist comments so he must
Posted by ScooterBug, Mon Jan-13-14 11:34 PM
a white guy.
172073, well, you see "shooting at movie theater" and you think one way
Posted by homer_pimpson225, Tue Jan-14-14 03:49 AM
... but then it goes on to say the movie was "Lone Survivor" and it was in Florida, so then it ain't hard to tell. © Mr. Jones
172074, White folx going at it
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Tue Jan-14-14 07:49 AM
71 years of age. What the fuck was he so mad about!?
172075, nigga was on his Phil Robertson wit dem dangblamed yuppies and they
Posted by homer_pimpson225, Tue Jan-14-14 08:58 AM
... new aged devices like navigation systems, cell phones and living in the suburbs and shit.
172076, I knew this story would make it on here....lol
Posted by b2thej, Tue Jan-14-14 11:40 AM
to me the crazy part is it was wesley chapel, don't shit go on way the fuck out there
172077, I thought the same thing...
Posted by Marbles, Tue Jan-14-14 11:57 AM

There's nothing out that way. On 1st thought, I figured this would have happened in Ybor or something.
172078, maybe they should just burn florida and start all over again
Posted by thegodcam, Mon Jan-13-14 09:29 PM
172079, I love the idea of shooting people for talking and texting during movies.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Jan-13-14 10:29 PM
I honestly can't count how many times I've thought "God I wish somebody would just shoot this fucking guy".

My only beef with this is that I couldn't be present for such a just act of retribution. That theater should put dude's head on a spike to warn all the other inconsiderate talkers and texters in that theater. I wish more people like the shooter existed.

I mean, where the fuck is this guy when *eye* need him? Where was he when I was watching The Wolf of Wall Street last weekend and the five Omega Moo sisters sat right behind my wife and I and didn't shut up from the start of the trailers to their post-movie trip to the bathroom stalls?

All I'm saying is that I totally get the Scrubs fantasy of shooting these people. In the end, it's common sense that you don't actually do it. I don't condone it... buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut there's a small part of me that would be lying if I said I didn't understand. Remember, as Uncle Chris Rock taught us all: There's a reason to kick an old man down a flight of stairs. You just don't do it.
172080, RE: I love the idea of shooting people for talking and texting during movies.
Posted by howisya, Mon Jan-13-14 11:32 PM
this made the national news earlier tonight, and the man killed was texting his daughter during the previews. some would probably say it was only the previews, not the movie. besides the fact that a lot of us are actually interested in the trailers, by that point, the lights have already dimmed, so those cell phone screens are really bright. according to the reports, the man was making noise on top of that. people who text during previews usually continue to text and take and make calls during the movie as well. second, i'm sure some would be quick to defend him because he was texting his daughter. the people who text at the movies no doubt are constantly communicating with loved ones, be they significant others, parents, or offspring. it's still not the time and place for phone use. let this be a lesson to those who do this: one day your rude behavior is going to be countered by someone else's psychopathic behavior. this man, who carried on and fought back, had his luck run out today.
172081, gotta feel like shooting would be more disruptive.
Posted by shockzilla, Tue Jan-14-14 06:45 AM
the movie might even be stopped.
172082, Sure, but it's the principle, you know?
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jan-14-14 11:24 AM
172083, NYT was briefly on your side
Posted by Nodima, Tue Jan-14-14 11:28 AM
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/01/14/florida-man

Frances Robles, reporting the NYT:

An argument over texting at the movies ended in a cellphone user’s death, when a retired police officer in the audience shot him at a theater near Tampa, Fla., on Monday afternoon, the authorities said.

The killing underscored the increased debate about when to use smartphones in public.
~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
172084, WTF at this...
Posted by Marbles, Tue Jan-14-14 11:58 AM

>The killing underscored the increased debate about when to use
>smartphones in public.

Wow.

172085, WHAT IN THE FUCK.
Posted by PlanetInfinite, Tue Jan-14-14 12:25 PM

i'm out.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jan-14-14 06:12 PM
172087, this post kind of makes you a heartless awful person.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Jan-14-14 12:26 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Okayplayer's 13 Best Songs of 2013
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1oqjQg5iG0kixstemTCUgT0b8cSMNfN-
172088, Your response definitely makes you an illiterate jackass.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jan-14-14 06:07 PM
You posted like you didn’t pay attention to what I wrote, but you were itching to tell me off so you just went with that.

The problem is, you’re apparently a moron who doesn’t comprehend sarcasm.

The whole point is that these selfish, inconsiderate assholes who text, talk, and bring their babies to the theater are annoying, irritating, and piss off the many of us who are there to actually watch the movie we paid for in a bad way.

I don’t understand *actually* shooting someone for being an asshole in the theater, but I understand the emotional frustration that can mount for some when their stuck dealing with the selfish, inconsiderate actions of others.

I’m sure you think Chris Rock is a deplorable, heartless human being for saying there’s a reason to kick an old man down a flight of stairs, but that’s because you’re an asshole who checked out before the punch line and decided he was serious.

It’s funny that you to do comedy writing, yet you’re not clever enough to see that I ended my post with a classic Chris Rock joke and realize that I wasn’t serious. You’ve got to be a moron, or an asshole with an OK-genda who couldn’t wait to tell off the screen name instead of responding to the actual post. Either way, it makes you a first class jackass
172089, You forgot the first rule of trying to make a joke.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Jan-14-14 10:18 PM
That is, be funny.

That's why Chris rock gets laughs and you get o_o.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

172090, except my post was sarcastic and cynical and you're just being an asshole
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jan-14-14 11:45 PM
172091, meds, homey
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-15-14 09:37 AM
stay on them.

172092, Miss me with the cheap shots. Just own your mistake.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 11:24 AM
I made a a CLEARLY sarcastic post and ended with a pertinent classic joke from a big time comedian, and yet you were still so dumb and/or determined to say some slick shit to me that you took it seriously.

This isn't some "Cold Truth is off his meds!" shit. I don't take meds anyways, but that's a different story. This was you jumping the gun and looking like a first class jackass in the progress. Own it, because you trying to turn this into some "CT has mental health issues!" is just making you look terrible.

172093, funny thing is you think you "won" this exchange.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-15-14 02:05 PM
Listen I get the "Truth" screen names confused and I forgot you were the one to avoid. I regret getting in this exchange with you.

I think whatever clever thing you were trying to achieve in your fist post, you didn't. Which should be clear in the reactions other than my own.

But if you want to insist on the last word. Please feel free to go for it.

I won't respond to whatever clever, sly thing you respond with next.

172094, There was nothing to "win". You jumped the gun and look foolish
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 02:36 PM
I didn't say anything "clever" or "sly", I just stated literal facts.

The whole reason for this exchange is you jumping the gun to tell me off when you clearly didn't read the fucking post. You can try to paint it as me being someone to avoid or off my non-existent meds or whatever, but facts are facts, you were wrong, and you're too prideful to admit it.

Now run along and solicit more jokes written by other people so you can submit them for that NBC gig you won't be getting.
172095, i think a kick to the balls/titties would suffice though
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Jan-14-14 11:37 PM
some people just have NO off switch when it comes to their fucking devices.

i also noticed that that and just the general way business is done gives a lot of people this LOATHSOME form of what i call acquired ADD. recently i had to deal with a friend's brother in a professional context and another small business owner, both super neurotic and incapable of doing one thing at one time, and, ultimately, of accomplishing much of anything.
172096, I'd truly enjoy a story where that's all that happened
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 04:24 PM
This is just sad though.
172097, Next time I see one of them big face Galaxy hoes in the dark,
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon Jan-13-14 10:41 PM
I'll consider this.
172098, The wife is mother in law's boss.
Posted by adg87, Mon Jan-13-14 11:58 PM
Sad. Could have been anyone. I'm not text crazy, but I could see me sending one out before a movie starts and getting my ass shot.
172099, Stand your ground
Posted by Binladen, Tue Jan-14-14 07:34 AM
172100, This shit happened in Philly during Benjamin Button
Posted by bwood, Tue Jan-14-14 09:03 AM
Dude shot homeboy in the head sat back down and watched the rest of the movie as niggas were scrambling for the exits. Cops didn't arrest him till the movie was over.
172101, WTF is wrong with Florida?
Posted by BullShit, Tue Jan-14-14 10:27 AM
172102, Deleted message
Posted by Sha, Tue Jan-14-14 11:09 AM
No message
172103, i too cannot STAND folks texting/talking/using their cell phones at
Posted by earthseed, Tue Jan-14-14 12:11 PM
the movies, but to shoot someone over it. damn. smh.

172104, Who gives a shit about texting during a movie?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Jan-14-14 12:26 PM
Can you hear texting now it?

172105, well a lot of the larger screens can be distracting.
Posted by Koku, Tue Jan-14-14 12:30 PM
like somebody pulls out a galaxy or
something of that sort it does
take away.
172106, any competing screen
Posted by howisya, Tue Jan-14-14 12:40 PM
even a flip phone. i don't like seeing a shiny white screen in front of me distracting from the movie projected on the big screen. sometimes it's right by me and burns into my retinas. i see and often hear people on their phones every time i go to a movie, and it always takes me out of it and occasionally, depending on how persistent people are and the depths of their rudeness, ruins the movie for me.
172107, thank you.
Posted by earthseed, Tue Jan-14-14 01:20 PM
172108, i do, obviously. you're in a dark theater with an annoying bright
Posted by earthseed, Tue Jan-14-14 01:19 PM
light coming from somewhere other from the screen.

and we all know some folks have that annoying keystroke noise for each move they make on their keyboard or touch.
172109, THERE ARE THEATER WARNINGS ABOUT THAT TEXT LIGHT
Posted by rdhull, Tue Jan-14-14 05:38 PM
>Can you hear texting now it?
>
>**********
>"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then
>they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
>
>Okayplayer's 13 Best Songs of 2013
>http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1oqjQg5iG0kixstemTCUgT0b8cSMNfN-
172110, sort of
Posted by howisya, Tue Jan-14-14 06:17 PM
at first it was please silence your cell phones.* then it was no texting. neither of these quite conveys "don't use your phone at all." checking facebook isn't texting. instant messaging and chatting isn't (necessarily) texting either. the real problem of course is that people don't give a fuck and will do what they want regardless of how the request is worded. in my experience ushers don't do anything about it either because people know enough not to have their screen up when ushers are on patrol. it really is a matter of theatergoers policing ourselves, and obviously this ex-cop took it way too far and will have to suffer the consequences, probably for the rest of his life in jail.

* to this day people still take and make actual phone calls.
172111, last time I went to the AMC (Christmas), they had new promos
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Jan-16-14 05:05 PM
where they specifically said "turn your phone OFF" and had Twitter icons, Facebook, etc.

Mind you, these were brand new, so they may not all be distro'd out yet.
172112, cool... and good
Posted by howisya, Thu Jan-16-14 05:46 PM
i usually go to regal, and it still has an ancient promo that they updated a couple years back to include "no texting."

the low point so far has been seeing someone playing a game like candy crush during a movie there.

i really think it ultimately comes down to people not having a filter. i saw 12 years a slave with an enraptured audience. this old woman sat next to me because the theater was at or near capacity. she was really into the movie, but as soon as her friend went to the bathroom, she took out her smartphone and scrolled through it. i almost took it away from her and would have been prepared to tell her i would give it back at the end of the movie but instead fought to ignore the bright screen glaring right in my eye. she put it away when her friend came back and never took it out again. it was just what some people do when the company they are with departs for a moment, leaving them briefly alone, only this happened to be in the middle of a packed, darkened theater.
172113, Psst... it's the fucking light, genius
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jan-14-14 06:09 PM
172114, *AHEM*
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Jan-14-14 06:15 PM
http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/v1/compositions/24659320/views/1,width%3D280,height%3D280,appearanceId%3D99.png/women-s-gizmo-bright-light_design.png

(you _must_ be playing the "willfully oppositional" card on this one.)
172115, so if i dance silently in the aisles doing cartwheels, thats cool?
Posted by gusto, Tue Jan-14-14 06:44 PM
172116, Nah, you might get Tito Santana'd by the third cartwheel
Posted by 8-bit, Wed Jan-15-14 09:22 AM
172117, its annoying as fuck
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jan-14-14 10:38 PM
not "kill that guy" annoying, but I doubt id feel any sympathy for someone having their device slapped out of their hand
172118, that bright ass glow in a dark theater is annoying as fuck!
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Wed Jan-15-14 10:13 AM
172119, you're definitely an asshole who texts during movies.
Posted by will_5198, Wed Jan-15-14 03:33 PM
172120, WHO THE FUCK BRINGS A GUN TO A FUCKING MOVIE THEATER?
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Jan-14-14 12:28 PM
I hate talkers and texters as much as the next person, but JESUS CHRIST NO ONE SHOULD LITERALLY FUCKING DIE BECAUSE THEY WERE TEXTING IN A FUCKING MOVIE.

This is fucked up. I hope that old piece-of-shit gets the book thrown at him.

But I know, Florida.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm lofty. Feel free to stay lost in your feelings.
172121, You're trying to make sense. Stop...
Posted by Case_One, Tue Jan-14-14 02:53 PM
These people have life.

The consequence of failure is doing nothing.
http://instagram.com/casethenupe
172122, yup, nailed it, end thread
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Jan-14-14 03:27 PM
172123, Me. But I wouldn't ever use it unless confronted with another gun
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-14-14 10:26 PM
I carry everywhere here in Georgia. I use to leave my gun in the car when I go to movies till that Colorado incident. Now I keep it with me in the movies. Just being honest.
172124, I walked out on American Hustle partly because of loud popcorn eater
Posted by sixteenstone, Tue Jan-14-14 10:34 PM
the movie was boring as hell anyway, and mostly importantly free. I could not see who the hell was crunching on the popcorn 4 rows back. But I silently wished death on them.
172125, LMAO!
Posted by Roadblock, Tue Jan-14-14 10:52 PM
172126, Lol
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Tue Jan-14-14 11:46 PM
172127, Loud eaters don't realize they've got folks ready to beat them down
Posted by 8-bit, Wed Jan-15-14 09:21 AM
Why I gotta hear someone chewing?
172128, RE: I walked out on American Hustle partly because of loud popcorn eater
Posted by howisya, Wed Jan-15-14 01:01 PM
last movie i went to--which was that one--there was a chorus of people behind me unwrapping and crinkling (outside food and drink) plastics at the beginning of the movie that for a few short minutes was louder than the movie itself.

phones aren't the only issue. babies and toddlers were discussed last fall. there's also something i find at a lot of movies where people, often sitting in the middle of a row, are constantly getting up and coming back during the movie. i'll take that over the glowing phones or people talking, but it's all annoying. i remember back in the day it was kids who had the reputation of ruining a movie experience, but i find it's usually adults behaving badly. of course, it doesn't help that smartphones have infantilized most of us.
172129, When you carry, you carry
Posted by 8-bit, Wed Jan-15-14 09:36 AM
Here, the only places I can't carry are schools, government buildings, and establishments that serve alcohol. Other than that, if you're gonna carry then you keep it on your hip (or where ever it's holstered).

Not taking dude's side at all (he was wrong as hell), but it doesn't seem weird to me for legal gun owners to have a gun on them in most places.
172130, my dude
Posted by labcoat, Wed Jan-15-14 03:24 PM
he is a cop
that gun goes everywhere with him

im so used to it now it doesnt bother me

172131, Some people ride around with a gun anyplace.
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Jan-16-14 05:07 PM
If I read the story correctly, the shooter went out to his car and got his gun. I don't think he brought it into the theater beforehand.

(This doesn't make the situation any better or any less crazy - this is why everybody shouldn't have guns)
172132, HE WAS ARMED WITH POPCORN, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Jan-14-14 03:26 PM
172133, the small details of this makes it really interestings
Posted by walihorse, Tue Jan-14-14 05:28 PM
should people who disturb the rest of people be dealt with? Yes

during a preview?? ehh no

If it persists ?? ass whooping

stopping the argument to what seems like 7 mins to leave, go to car, get gun, load gun, walk back, and continue arguing to then shot?? That motherfucker is nuts and deserves to get jailed regardless.
172134, He was texting his babysitter to let her know he was about to turn his
Posted by MME, Tue Jan-14-14 06:13 PM
phone off. And for that, he died.

but its the principle, or something.
172135, You guys would be fucking amazing sarcastaball players.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jan-14-14 06:17 PM
World fucking champs in here.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s16e08-sarcastaball
172136, "of course... but, maybe..." (c)Louie
Posted by Myno, Tue Jan-14-14 06:28 PM
172137, They're charging the dude with 2nd degree instead of 1st?
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-14-14 10:31 PM
I'm hoping that 2nd keeps this old retard in prison till he croaks.
172138, (florida)
Posted by B9, Wed Jan-15-14 08:44 AM
172139, I feel like if you are carrying a weapon you should always be
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-15-14 09:41 AM
charged with first. Especially if you are carrying a concealed weapon.

172140, 1st implies premeditation
Posted by woe.is.me., Wed Jan-15-14 03:36 PM
if you buy his story that he thought his life was in danger and happened to have his gun on him, it doesn't sound like 1st degree.
172141, are violent military flicks making excops and vets snap?
Posted by Riot, Tue Jan-14-14 11:05 PM
i think we need a panel of experts to dissect whats going on here
172142, Some of y'all that post here are really crazy and would probably shoot
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Tue Jan-14-14 11:56 PM
Up an elementary school if the kids "got on ur nerves" . I would like go see many of u cut off from society all together. That'd make me feel better

And I rarely need to or use my phone in the movies but if I'm texting a friend to help them find where I'm sitting that's not the end of the world

Talking never! But a quick txt not during the movie come on

And the dad should not have been so combative but jeez he's dead

Someone is dead and y'all talking bout movie phone etiquette

This place is so fucked at times
172143, It was during the previews though I think
Posted by sixteenstone, Tue Jan-14-14 11:58 PM
172144, "Someone is dead and y'all talking bout movie phone etiquette"
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-15-14 09:41 AM
Say it again man. This is what got my scratching my head in this post.

172145, As usual, you’re dripping an astounding level of hyperbole.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 11:53 AM
>Up an elementary school if the kids "got on ur nerves".

Stop it. There’s literally nobody here on OKP that indicates anything close to this sort of mentality. You and several others here are the absolute worst sort of armchair psychiatrists imaginable, and you guys are always itching to turn everyone who doesn’t get along with the OKS mainstream into Charlie Manson. You talk like you’re a goddamned seasoned FBI profiler.

>would like go see many of u cut off from society all together.
>That'd make me feel better

Based on what, exactly? Talk about extreme. You’re over here diagnosing people as the lowest of societies low on a regular basis, despite very little evidence to suggest anything of the sort. Stop and think for a minute about what kind of psychological issues you must have to so consistently do that shit.

How about this?

You’re probably just one of the many self-righteous OKP’s who is most likely an awkward fucking loser in the real world and happened to find the one place in the world where they seem to fit in. Since you/they fit into the mainstream of OKP, you can now unleash your own passive aggressive vitriol in the direction those who don’t really fit the OK norm. You’ve probably got a host of mental and emotional issues at home, and that’s why you’re constantly trying to project these issues onto so many of those you come across here.

>And I rarely need to or use my phone in the movies but if I'm
>texting a friend to help them find where I'm sitting that's
>not the end of the world

Some people think that’s an asshole thing to do. You take that and conclude those people would shoot a school of children. The only crazy in here is the person who draws such wildly unreasonable conclusions. People think it's an asshole thing to do at the theater, but literally nobody here thinks he should have died or even gotten shot for it.

>Talking never! But a quick txt not during the movie come on
>And the dad should not have been so combative but jeez he's
>dead

>Someone is dead and y'all talking bout movie phone etiquette

Show me all the people who think he should have died for this.
In fact, show me ONE.
One person who seriously says this was just.
We’ll wait.
You’re in here huffing and puffing and calling people crazy and saying they’d shoot up a school of children, yet you literally haven’t a single, solitary post to back that shit up.

>This place is so fucked at times

No, that would be you. You’re such a fucking drama queen who can’t wait to turn any shred of negative interaction into a detailed psych profile of America’s future serial killers.

Do you know what the biggest mental disorder on OKP tends to be?

DEPRESSION. No, really, it’s pretty fucking well known.

How many murders do we have here on OKP? For all this talk of mental issues, all these cheap shots thrown at people for supposedly needing mental help, where are all the supposedly psychotic interactions that would suggest acts of extreme violence?

They. Don’t. Fucking. Exist.

What we do have, however, are a slew of people who have actually taken their OWN lives.

The sort of mental problems that persist among Okayplayers are nothing like what you continue to assert upon that high horse wedged up your condescending ass.

You’re so busy trying to diagnose everyone as being terrible human beings, you’re blinded to just how terrible a person you and others like you are in the process.
172146, U need mental help!
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Thu Jan-16-14 05:05 PM
172147, No, that would be you.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jan-16-14 05:39 PM
Anyone who resorts to such mental health cheap shots so consistently is bound to be projecting their own issues. You’re most likely a self loathing loser whose father hates him and has few if no friends outside of the fat women whose social circle consists entirely of their mom, their cat, and their gay bff. Basically, the only people who like you in real life are people like Abby.
172148, LOLs at him trying to claim "stand your ground"...asshole
Posted by B9, Wed Jan-15-14 08:44 AM
172149, This is why I've been to one movie in ten years
Posted by 8-bit, Wed Jan-15-14 09:26 AM
A lot of other people really don't have any home training. Next thing, I'm being brought down to some fool's low level of behaviour because that clown can't sit still and enjoy the flick like a civilized person.

Plus, the bootleg man got that high-quality for $2.
172150, you ever fuck with indie/foreign cinemas?
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Wed Jan-15-14 03:32 PM
much different crowd.... and highly bearable
172151, agreed
Posted by howisya, Wed Jan-15-14 03:38 PM
that said, i still remember vividly seeing cremaster 3 on a big screen at AFI in 2003 and a girl in the audience getting a cell phone call toward the beginning. after it rang, she immediately silenced it and told her boyfriend, "i'm so ashamed." that has stuck with me over 10 years because the audience for nonmainstream flicks are generally so much better behaved and i could hear in her voice that this girl felt truly mortified to have allowed that to happen. it is such a contrast with the open season on all types of ignorance that i witness at every single mainstream movie showing that goes mostly unchecked and will probably only continue to get worse.
172152, I'll never understand how people can watch a bootleg
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Jan-16-14 05:08 PM
and that's supposed to be a satisfactory substitute for seeing a movie.

Unless it's an HD transfer - not a bad SD copy of a screener, and for damn sure not a "cam", $2 is far too much money. I'd rather just go to the second run theater.
172153, Shrug. I get solid copies of screeners for free.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jan-16-14 05:41 PM
Problem solved :)
172154, i dont get the ppl that text but dont think to turn the brightness down
Posted by seasoned vet, Wed Jan-15-14 10:00 AM
172155, RE: i dont get the ppl that text.
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Jan-15-14 10:39 AM
Are you that important?

Can you not wait two hours to contact the rest of the world?

In the case of an emergency, can you not get up and step around the corner to the foyer area or the hallway to text out of sight of the seated patrons?
172156, obviously they feel like they are but that wasnt my question
Posted by seasoned vet, Wed Jan-15-14 12:38 PM
meaning,
some of these people feel entitled and will never see why they shouldnt

FINE.

im questioning the lack of common courtesy of dimming their screen

i guess their entitled attitude knows no bounds
172157, Speechless....
Posted by murph71, Wed Jan-15-14 11:13 AM

at the amount of ignorance in this post....
172158, You were expecting different?
Posted by ZooTown74, Wed Jan-15-14 12:42 PM
>at the amount of ignorance in this post....

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm lofty. Feel free to stay lost in your feelings.
172159, Point it out.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 12:53 PM
Be specific.

It's not there.

Are people seriously saying he should have been shot?
Are people saying they agree with the old man?

No

The most you see are people who talk and text in the theather are assholes, but literally nobody is saying they should die over it.

So where is all this supposed ignorance?
172160, RE: Point it out.
Posted by murph71, Wed Jan-15-14 01:30 PM

By burying the lede.....

This dude was on the phone texting his babysitter to check in on his kid.....He got shot by some ex cop maniac that should be under the jail for reacting like a inbred monster...

And all some of y'all can say is, "Well, texting in a movie theater is annoying, ain't it....?"

Like for real? I hope SOME of y'all are just on some Larry David shit.....Nobody is evil here in this post....

But I just find it interesting how something like this turns into dialogue about people keeping their lights too bright on their phone while texting...lol

Man...side-eye that shit...That maniac cop would have shot someone over stepping on his shoe....it's obvious dude ain't all there...
172161, This post is the eqivaluant of someone posting on Trayvon Martin
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-15-14 02:09 PM
and most of the subsequent posts being folks arguing about how "Skittles and Arizona Ice Tea" is terrible nutrition.

172162, Wrong. There's maybe....16 posts here about talking and texting.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 02:54 PM
those 16 posts account for roughly 13% of the total posts in the thread, which means there's not much of that discussion at all. More interesting is the fact that while your here bitching about it, you're also directly responsible for 75% of those posts.

You asked the stupid question, "Who gives a shit about texting during a movie?".

That spawned 12 posts in direct response to your question. In other words, those responses about texting and talking don't exist without you.

Outside of that, there's what... 4 posts really discussing it?

Perhaps I'm wrong. There may be another 3 or 4, but seriously, there's not very many posts ranting about texting and talking in here.

One guy jokingly said he'd "consider this" the next time he's stuck with some annoying people in a theater. Sixteen jokingly said she silently wished murder on some loud people in the theater.

Basically, the bulk of what you're complaining about was in direct response to your absolute dunce of a question and the rest is an extreme minority. In other words, you've invented something to rant about.
172163, Do the math. There aren't that many of those posts in here.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 02:42 PM
Time and again people have said “I hate people who text and talk at the theater”

……………. And then say nobody should die over it.

It’s like you guys see the first portion and check out over the rest. There’s hardly any ignorance in here. Literally nobody thinks that old man did the right thing.

What’s hilarious is that you have people in here like Buddy ranting about the supposed ignorance in here while asking unbelievably stupid questions like “what’s the problem with texting?”, which in and of itself spawned the bulk of discussion about the texting and talking aspect. His question is responsible for about half the posts about texting and talking, leaving the rest an extreme minority in the post.

You guys are reaching hard as hell to turn this into something it's not.
172164, RE: Do the math. There aren't that many of those posts in here.
Posted by murph71, Wed Jan-15-14 03:54 PM

The trivial annoyance of people texting in a movie theater seems small compared to someone losing their life because an ex cop is literally unstable and should be locked away...

Of course I'm smart enough to know none of y'all are condoning that shit (only a douche bag would do that...)...I don't get down like that...

The more that I look at it it seems very Larry David...and if that's all it was, no harm, no foul....
172165, Right, but again... most of that conversation came from Buddy
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 04:10 PM
You remove him and there are maybe 5-6 posts in the 90 or so we've got on the subject, hardly enough to warrant even a comment on.

You're right though, the remainder is pretty much Larry David.
172166, Thanks for the recap. BTW, you are nutty.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-15-14 04:01 PM

172167, You're welcome for a factual breakdown of the situation.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 04:11 PM
It's amusing that you think I'm nutty for setting straight a record you've vainly tried to distort.
172168, So we should limit our discussion to what you feel is relevant?
Posted by 8-bit, Wed Jan-15-14 03:00 PM
We're not the jury deliberating this case. We're a bunch of people having a discussion in a forum labeled "General Discussion."

Honestly, if it bothers some of y'all so much then why not stop clicking the thread? I wish I would let another human tell me what I can and can't talk about, or give any fucks about their "judgement."

Not coming at you personally, btw. I just don't get how some folks here feel like they can try and regulate someone else's conversation(s), or try to pass some "judgement" on them.
172169, nor is this thread a memorial
Posted by howisya, Wed Jan-15-14 03:30 PM
only one of us has expressed any personal connection to the victim. we are all just reacting to the story. there are a lot of interesting conversations that can be had from it, the least of which is "murder is wrong." i would hope that goes without saying.
172170, I don't think anyone is trying to regulate what yall talk about
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-15-14 03:58 PM
I am mainly observing a weird, to me, focus of the conversation. I read the story and emphasized more with the dead father than the perturbed movie goer.

Yall free to discuss what yall want. And I am free to discuss what yall discussing is strange. And you are free to in turn discuss how it's wrong for me to discuss how what yall are discussing is wrong. and so on.

172171, It's the "passing judgement" angle that really burns me up
Posted by 8-bit, Wed Jan-15-14 04:09 PM
I see too much of this on this board:

"Y'all niggas weird"
"Updates database"
"This post is full of ignorance/stupidity/losers/etc."

It's like some folks here rush in JUST to try an pass judgment on OTHER people. How fucking lame is that behaviour on a fucking semi-anonymous MESSAGE BOARD?

Personally, there are few things that can happen in a conversation that will make me say "fuck you, and your fucking opinion" and stop talking to someone. Trying to pass judgment (i.e. one thinking that their opinion matters more than someone else's) will do that.

Edit:

I can't understate how much this irks me. Maybe because I'm in my mid-30s and I wasn't raised to accept snarky shit as the norm. Imagine if you're having a real-life convo, and some dude that's not even in the conversation calls you weird or an asshole because they didn't get the joke you just told, or doesn't like what you are talking about.

Jaws would probably end up being tapped.
172172, What's worse is that's a work of fiction.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 04:17 PM
>I see too much of this on this board:
>
>"Y'all niggas weird"
>"Updates database"
>"This post is full of ignorance/stupidity/losers/etc."

the shit these idiots are saying this about literally doesn't exist.

Buddy asks who gives a fuck about texting in a theater, and he gets 12 responses that are specific to his question. He's literally the cause of that sidetrack, yet here he is lamenting how wierd it is that people would focus their attention on that aspect of this when people were simply answering his idiotic question.

172173, I hear you.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-15-14 04:37 PM
I tend to think everyone is judgemental, some better than others in hiding it. A least here, as oppose to real life, he can hear folks voice their judgements as oppose to hiding it.

I like this place because I can throw ideas out there and really get honest answers. Sometimes I get called out, sometimes I call out. Sometimes I agree with the getting called out, most of the time I don't.

I try to make my snark comment focused instead of person focused (I don't mind saying "that's a dumb statement" but I try to avoid saying "you're dumb". Clearly I failed in this post) because though I want to have honest exchanges of ideas, I really don't want to spend my day insulting strangers.

172174, U my nigga
Posted by Noodity, Wed Jan-15-14 05:13 PM
I'm ever in Philly or u ever in Detroit

I'll buy u a drink and a lapdance

I don't even care about THIS post

but that's some real shit
172175, Except you created that focus.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 04:14 PM
>I am mainly observing a weird, to me, focus of the
>conversation. I read the story and emphasized more with the
>dead father than the perturbed movie goer.

What's wierd is you talking about the focus being wierd when the overwhelming majority of attention to that particular element was a direct result of your post on the matter.

Remove your stupid question and the responses it generated, and there's very little discussion about it.

You're welcome to another factual breakdown to correct the skewed story you're trying to tell.
172176, thank you!
Posted by sixteenstone, Wed Jan-15-14 04:14 PM
people stay trying to say how someone should feel or react on this board.
it kinda goes without saying that the murder was a horrible thing and a ridiculous thing to lose your life over.
172177, not necessarily but its kinda weird to reply like that
Posted by Mahogany, Wed Jan-15-14 04:43 PM
Imo

Like to not even mention the death part and just go straight to the shit that annoys u. I think people in general just becoming desensitized to certain things...its like hearing these stories are so common unfortunately...and then u got the people that are just crazy in general

172178, That bulk of that focus in exists as an answer to Buddy's question
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 05:05 PM
It did not occur in a vaccum. He asked a question, people answered, and that's like 70% of all the posts on the subject in here.

I realize you'll say I'm "batshyt" for pointing out the factual context of this, but that's the literal truth.
172179, post #25 sort of pushed the convo in that direction.
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Jan-16-14 05:17 PM
I think most of us have the common sense to know it's wrong to kill a stranger in a movie theater auditorium.
172180, It's amazing how they keep ignoring that.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jan-16-14 05:41 PM
The loudest guy in the room on the subject is the guy who spawned the vast majority of the posts on the matter.

It's telling that he and his supporters refuse to acknowledge this.
172181, yal going to learn one day not to go down that rabbit hole with dude
Posted by SeV, Wed Jan-15-14 03:25 PM
thats been his new thing

instead of going coming at u all crazy from the onslaught and looking really batshyt

he sets lil bait traps waiting for a response so he can then come at u all batshyt and use the excuse that u attacked him 1st

i aint peep till i started noticing how he recollects any and every preconceived slight when folk call him out on his behavior

just avoid interacting with dude all together

Dallas Heatvricks BACK 2 BACK CHAMPS!!
172182, lol yup
Posted by Mahogany, Wed Jan-15-14 03:55 PM
172183, RE: yal going to learn one day not to go down that rabbit hole with dude
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-15-14 03:59 PM
I confuse him with the other dude who seems pretty cool.

Lesson learnt.

172184, Learned what, exactly?
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 04:22 PM
That when people say stupid shit about me that clearly shows they didn’t even read the post they’re responding to, I actually call them out and correct them?

That I present the actual, verifiable facts when someone twists the facts to fit an obvious agenda?

Those are the lessons you SHOULD have learned, because that’s literally all that’s happened in your interactions here with me.

Instead, you’ve been a smug, arrogant prick who resorts to cheap ass “take your meds” and “you’re nutty” responses when he got called out corrected.
172185, RE: Learned what, exactly?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-15-14 04:40 PM
I'll say it once so you can stop repeating yourself:

I read your whole post, understood that you weren't condoning murdering someone for texting during a movie AND still thought it was in horrible taste.

172186, You didn't say it was in horrible taste though, did you?
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 05:05 PM
It’s interesting- in one post in this very thread you say you “I try to make my snark comment focused instead of person focused (I don't mind saying "that's a dumb statement" but I try to avoid saying "you're dumb".”

You do say you failed in this post, but at no point have you owned that where it pertained to our exchange, what with you calling me a horrible person all. You didn’t say my comment was in horrible taste, you said it made me a horrible person.

If you can’t see where those two statements would result in wildly different responses, I don’t know what to tell you. If you said it was in horrible taste, I’d still contend that there’s really nothing in poor taste about it. It would be insensitive to say to a family member, at a press conference, or some other context with a direct connection to the event. I’d argue that it’s hardly poor taste to express an understanding of the frustration that arises in those situations while making it perfectly clear that you don’t shoot someone for talking/texting in movies just because it pisses you off.

That said, it’s odd that you would jump straight to “take your meds” for responding unkindly to you telling me what I posted makes me a horrible person. That’s exactly how we got to where we are right now.

172187, k
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-15-14 05:10 PM

172188, yeah, that's where i'm at with it
Posted by theprofessional, Thu Jan-16-14 01:46 AM
> I read your whole post, understood that you weren't
>condoning murdering someone for texting during a movie AND
>still thought it was in horrible taste.

dude went for a joke, and it didn't work. *shrug* it happens, but don't lash out at everyone else for it.
172189, You do realize that sarcasm is not necessarily intended to be "funny", right?
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jan-16-14 02:15 AM
>> I read your whole post, understood that you weren't
>>condoning murdering someone for texting during a movie AND
>>still thought it was in horrible taste.
>
>dude went for a joke, and it didn't work. *shrug* it
>happens, but don't lash out at everyone else for it.

The only "joke" I went for was a quote of Chris Rock's joke, which was absolutely appropriate in light of the situation. The rest of my post was sarcasm, which usually isn't intended to make people laugh.

Further, I didn't lash out at "everyone" because my sarcasm "didn't work". I lashed out at Buddy specifically, not because my supposed joke didn't work, but because he said my post made me a horrible person. I also "lashed out" at him for complaining about the supposed "focus" on texting and talking when the overwhelming majority of posts on talking and texting exist in this thread contextually as a direct response to his own question.

He- and apparently you- make it sound like I was Michael Richards and just went all bull in a china shop. Meanwhile, the truth is that I simply took the time to look at what was actually said and correct the wildly flailing distortions Buddy keeps trying to convey.
172190, This is beyond hilarious coming from you.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 04:08 PM
>he sets lil bait traps waiting for a response so he can then
>come at u all batshyt and use the excuse that u attacked him
>1st

Sets bait traps?

lol

Good lord are you a sad one. Do you realize how stupid that sounds? Bait traps? So… I goad people into attacking me so I can have an excuse to attack back? Is that the new excuse you’re making for yourself and others? “Sure, he attacked CT first, but CT manipulated him into it.”. Do you realize how hilarious this sounds?

We both know you're talking about me. Please, show me where and how I came at anyone “batshyt” in this thread. I’ll wait. In fact, show me where I came at you “batshyt” in that last post where I called you out on your passive aggressive posts just like I am here. Show me the “batshyt” responses.

>i aint peep till i started noticing how he recollects any and
>every preconceived slight when folk call him out on his
>behavior

Lol. No. I recollect the facts on interactions and present them in their factual context when passive aggressive people like you distort, twist, or flat out make up things to fit your agenda.

>just avoid interacting with dude all together.

Why aren’t you doing that? Are you going to fall back on this bullshit narrative that you weren’t interacting with me simply because you didn’t name names? Further, you have negative interactions with damn near everyone here, so you’re the last person who should be talking about who should be avoided. Much like Deadzombie’s wack ass, you’re trying to distract people from the fact that you’re something of a pariah yourself by pointing in my direction.

You should figure out a new way to get people to like you, because this is wack as fuck.
172191, ;-)
Posted by abby, Wed Jan-15-14 05:57 PM
172192, ^^^you can always count on this one to join a dog pile
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 06:48 PM
She’s in the same class of lonely real-world losers as blkprince though so it makes sense.
172193, No dogpile. Just consensus: you're a nutjob.
Posted by abby, Wed Jan-15-14 08:11 PM
Not interested in arguing with you about it though. I

I know you get off on that.

We'll just keep treating you like the odd bird that you are while you spin in your little room convincing yourself that it's everyone else who is crazy.

Sleep well.
172194, You guys really have a low standard for what constitutes being a "nut job".
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-14 09:39 PM
It basically boils down to me refusing to allow you to twist the truth while deconstructing your bullshit.
172195, You gotta go into public knowing someone's gonna be a douche.
Posted by Brotha Sun, Wed Jan-15-14 03:30 PM
You just gotta accept that fact before you pull out the driveway brah.

That's why old people need web-guardians. Someone who can show them how to watch new movies for the free on their browser. Someone to teach them how to order groceries on their laptop instead of driving to the store or rolling around in their little scooter.

Life aint gotta be like this. Keep old people out of public as much as possible yo.
172196, lmao....
Posted by ndibs, Wed Jan-15-14 09:25 PM
"this incident underscores the need for elderly baby sitters..."
172197, update: not an isolated incident for the perp (video)
Posted by howisya, Wed Jan-15-14 04:54 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/nation/2014/01/15/4494273/
172198, just when i start thinking it's time to change my avy....
Posted by theprofessional, Thu Jan-16-14 01:44 AM
nope, still relevant.
172199, sad the guy is dead, really. but i fucking detest people who text
Posted by GumDrops, Thu Jan-16-14 04:33 PM
during a movie.

they deserve to have their phones smashed with a hammer.

i dont care how urgent it is. if its that important, you shouldnt be watching a movie to begin with.
172200, it was during the previews though
Posted by KosherSam, Thu Jan-16-14 04:34 PM
172201, if the theater is dark, the phones should go off.
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Jan-16-14 04:58 PM
Usually, the first piece of film they run at showtime is the "TURN YOUR PHONES OFF NOW" PSA. People should obey it.

Previews or not, your phone should not be on, because the light is distracting and annoying. Now, obviously no one should die over it, but the phone should be off.
172202, agreed, but I treat texting during previews like talking during previews
Posted by KosherSam, Thu Jan-16-14 05:07 PM
yeah, you probably should've stopped by now, and you're kinda being a dick, but as long as you stop before the actual movie starts, I'll get over it.
172203, Yeah, it's not as serious, but if you're anywhere in my
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Jan-16-14 05:11 PM
general vicinity, I'm going to tap you on the shoulder and ask you to turn that thing off or step outside and text.

Theater tickets are $11 and up nowadays - for that high of a price, I want a perfect experience. To be honest, I often contemplate building a home theater and just waiting until everything comes out on Blu-Ray.
172204, the previews are part of the package to me
Posted by rdhull, Thu Jan-16-14 05:41 PM
I get there on time (and before) to see the previews as well
172205, cinephiles the world over are secretly hoping this sends a msg
Posted by GumDrops, Thu Jan-16-14 04:34 PM
(not a text lol) to irritating moviegoers everywhere.

or i am at least.

172206, dayum
Posted by Sylana, Thu Jan-16-14 05:11 PM
172207, overall: cops require mental health screenings BEFORE and AFTER service
Posted by rdhull, Thu Jan-16-14 05:29 PM
172208, Not tomention during.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jan-16-14 05:43 PM
Of course, all the mental health screening in the world can’t overcome decades of Cowboy training behind that thin blue line.
172209, the arthritis defense
Posted by howisya, Wed Feb-05-14 06:49 PM
just when you think you've heard it all or that this case can't get any weirder...
172210, RE: Texting at the movies is liable to get you murked #Florida (swipe)
Posted by thegodcam, Thu Mar-06-14 11:47 AM
172211, Because Florida
Posted by j., Thu Mar-06-14 02:41 PM