Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectcosign
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=131953&mesg_id=133384
133384, cosign
Posted by Eddy, Tue Dec-02-08 07:46 AM
and heres a reply by ?uest to a comment on the rappersiknow blog for anyone who hasn't read it...

http://www.rappersiknow.com/2008/11/26/questlove-vs-jay-dee-the-little-brother-beat-story/

?uesto
Dec 2, 2008 3:53

focused
Nov 27, 2008 10:03
This is ridiculous … beat is dope , but CMON! … theres a lot of music to sample on that record without voice , like Questlove said he just a STAN , that shit is mad overrated … producers do that all the time…

i knew someone would have something negative to snark about this story. and the fact that you just HAD to add your two cents in tells me i was correct in my some people just dont wanna see it. (of course i can see the retort of “but i said “shit is ridic…..i said it was dope, so how could i be hating?”

so im not going to get into the back and forward of shit cause the point is lost. and i also think its disrespectful to dilla’s memory to even fall for this bating (obviously you are a beatmaker and you feel as though either a) “not THAT big of a deal” or b) YOU could do better.

because the intricate chopping (i used the jp version to show you what it sounds like simply because jp’s samples aren’t decayed and thus you can HEAR the numerous EDITS used so you can have an idea the he damn near used a GAZZIlion pads to make this beat. the fact the dilla’s sounds so seemless shows you just how much work he put into cooking up this gem (and mind you this shit was done by HAND, now adays i got mad programs that help you chop and truncate and decay samples just by a command button.)

there are cats who chop shit up lovely ALL the time props to nicolay and 9th and black milk, cats from houston too numerous to name, cats in dallas, the demo of pac div i had before they signed, sheeeit even kanye’s
“spaceship” is a classic chop albeit not as intricate but when you can turn a song into something entirely different that is some special shit……(im writing this on the fly cause im late to airport so there are 20 cats i overlooked)

but i’ll see your “aint no thing” and raise you a “well show me dude”

show me a beat made in 1998/99 that required at least HALF of the pads used for “little brother” from the same RECORD.

you could say “oh well “night of the living baseheads” had shit all over the place.

but im talking ONE RECORD. in which the parts were chopped to micro bits to the point shit was spread out over the course of about 10 pads. (not even the 17-20 pads i saw with my own eyes, but HALF that)

the only producer that had dill losing REAL sleep was madlib. that was the only time ever i got a call AFTER midnight from jay EVER ever EVER.

(he called electric lady like 2am told me to get D and put speakerphone on….and with the same passion that im stanning him he went on for like 10 mins about lootpack and madlib. and even said “i dont think you two are even gonna get it cause to the naked ear its gonna sound regular…but trust me this cat is cut from a cloth so different it aint funny yo….he makes me wanna retire or work harder (jay and pharrell are the ONLY cats i know who kept business hours when beatmaking: they get up at 7am and make music like its a real job….take a lunch break come back and if they were STILL in the studio after 7 then that shit was a MAJOR event in their lives. all work STOPPED at 7pm for both these cats….so again for dill to be making beats at 2am was a major “oh shit….he really must be fucked up about THIS shit)—

actually i was insulted when he hung up like (to D)

“wait…is he saying that we are mere mortals who wont get this shit?!?! dag man…i dunno how to take it

*family guy cut edit to the next day*

(at fat beats paying for 4 lootpack records…….at electric lady listening and like…..

“hmmm i mean its cool…..its no “fantastic” but *shrug*”***

so again. with all due respect mr “cats do this all the time”

show me the cat in 1998, who was doing this all the time and ill show you a drummer who will gladly miss the plane and blog about it with a blog the size of the koran

***dear madlib no disrespect what so ever. i wrote that for comic effect