Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectNot to get my Columbo on, but here's my take:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=122420&mesg_id=122562
122562, Not to get my Columbo on, but here's my take:
Posted by reese s.d., Thu Oct-23-08 07:29 PM
>Palin has already been in contact with the "victim".
>
>
>
>
>http://kdka.com/politics/McCain.Campaign.Worker.2.847449.html
>
>Police: McCain Worker Mugged, Attacked
>PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― Pittsburgh police are investigating
>after a volunteer for the Republican campaign says she was
>attacked by a mugger who became enraged after seeing a John
>McCain bumper sticker on her car last night.
>
>According to police, the 20-year-old woman said she was robbed
>at an ATM at the corner of Liberty Avenue and Pearl Street in
>the Bloomfield area around 9pm Wednesday after leaving a
>Republican phone bank.

After leaving a campaign headquarters and working phones all day, your first instinct is to not immediately return to your hotel and rest, but to take out money in an unfamiliar neighborhood at night (she's from Texas)? Now, she may have been staying with family, but then that would beg the question, "Why did she need money that soon?" And if she was staying with family, would they not pick her up?

If she was staying at a hotel, there are going to be ATM machines located a lot more conveniently there than at, again, a random corner in an unfamiliar neighborhood.

Possible, but not probable.

>
>The woman told police that the suspect, described only as a
>dark-skinned African-American man about 6'4", stole $60 from
>her and became enraged after seeing a bumper sticker
>supporting Republican Presidential Candidate John McCain on
>her car.

Here's what really sets me wondering. She just came from a Republican campaign headquarters. a) The mugger had enough time to read and discern she was a McCain supporter from her bumper sticker (he would have had to have figured this out from far away; if he got close enough to tell it was both her car and a McCain sticker, I doubt she would continue onto her car) b) had time to make out this sticker at night c) became enraged AFTER mugging her or before? He had time to call out a complete sentence. and c) she didn't call for help this entire time, nor did the ruckus alert anybody even though she just came from a crowded area (at least she didn't mention that the office was empty)

I don't understand how he had time and presence of mind to pull all of this off. And to read the rest...

>According to a campaign spokesperson, after seeing her bumper
>sticker supporting McCain, the suspect said, 'Oh you're with
>McCain, you're with the McCain campaign? I'm going to teach
>you a lesson.'"
>
>After repeatedly hitting, kicking and threatening the woman,
>the McCain camp says the suspect carved a "B" in her cheek for
>"Barack" Obama.
>

...it almost sounds as if people stood around and watched this happen. You're more likely to do that if it's a victim you don't know, not with someone you've worked closely with. If somehow no one was around her and no one else heard what happened, then I just don't understand how she didn't get medical attention that night: facial wounds bleed quite alarmingly and something like a "B" being carved into one's face would have required immediate medical attention, period.

However, in short, if I were a mugger, I would never mug two people; even two small people. One has time to get away and call the cops. So if she was alone, she had to eventually tell someone that night. I can't imagine she would just go into the car and drive, facial wound and all.

>According to the police report, the officer confirmed that he
>"observed the wound on the right side of face.

If you observe the wound, the B is written backwards, which is odd enough, but the cut would have had to have been made at an impossible angle. An angle frankly too acute to have been possible with even a small knife held by another person. A straight slash, sure, but a well-formed letter? The way the mugger would have had to have bent his hand seems, to me at least, too difficult to do the way the B appears. It would make more sense if the B was angular and done with straight lines, which is what I assumed.