Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectwhat folks seem to be missing is the reason COMPLIMENTS is in quotes
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=202186&mesg_id=202261
202261, what folks seem to be missing is the reason COMPLIMENTS is in quotes
Posted by Novembersgift, Sun Mar-03-13 02:56 AM
because they're not compliments to some people. Some of us truly feel harassed, anxious, frustrated, unsafe, and fucking annoyed by your so-called compliments. That's what this is about...

I don't understand why people never hear someone's honest and true testimony about shit they've actually experienced in life then hear others cosign it with their own experiences and stories, and say, "While that hasn't been my experience I hear you and that's terrible. We should do XYZ to help make sure that doesn't keep happening, especially because it makes it harder for everyone to communicate and feel safe, happy." Not verbatim, but go for it if you like.

Instead it's all defensive and accusatory: You like that shit. If you really knew what you were talking about you wouldn't want what you say you want. Your feelings are invalid. Your lived experiences are false. Why won't you let me talk to you how I want? Why are you saying that I'm a bad guy when I just appreciate your beauty? Why won't you make yourself less attractive since I clearly cannot control my actions? I don't care what you say about how people approach you or talk to you, I'm doing what I think you want because I know what's best. You're just an angry person and I don't have to listen to you. I was taught to behave this way and I can never change. You wouldn't feel this way if the guy was cute so the entire argument is nullified. yadda yadda yadda.