Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectIs it right to weaponise an unborn child for this battle though?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=191501&mesg_id=191678
191678, Is it right to weaponise an unborn child for this battle though?
Posted by TheAlbionist, Fri Jul-10-15 10:52 AM
Why thrust your child in the position where they're forced to struggle against this sort of bullshit when you have an easy option for them to avoid some of it?

I'm not trying to suggest white-washing either; naming your daughter Chioma instead of L'Orreyal (because she's worth it) seems like a prenatal act of kindness to me.

If they want a more imaginative/creative name when they're grown couldn't they pick a new one for themselves or earn a nick name from their friends?

I'm as white and 'average' as they come but I definitely consider society's expectations of me fairly often and I think it's helped me end up in a top tier job compared to most of my friends despite not having as many formal qualifications... it's not *just* about racism, there's certainly that element to it and it's more exaggerated along those lines, but it's largely just accepting the realities of living amongst millions of other humans.

I'd love to come into the office wearing my usual at-home uniform of baggy shorts, bright t shirts and hoodies and tell everyone to call me Albi instead of Simon like people do when I DJ, but for 8 hours a day I wear a dark suit and answer to Simon because I don't want to have to prove myself worthy of my position to ignorant motherfuckers with prejudices against unkempt, rap-loving potheads every 5 minutes. I don't need to stand out here, I'm not here for fame or to have my life choices validated, I just need to bring home a fat cheque once a month for the least possible hassle.

All of us need the ability to blend into the pack once when... I'm definitely grateful my my Mum pulled rank and called me Simon and not Cosmo or Thelonious like my Dad wanted because I'm shit at playing brass and I'd be wearing clown makeup to work by now.