Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectthe fragmented history is the one that unites us
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=110773&mesg_id=111066
111066, the fragmented history is the one that unites us
Posted by Vette, Tue Oct-23-07 06:52 PM
read Imagined Communities by Benedict Anderson or Orientalism by Edward Said.

It's very easy to point the finger at the United States and Spain. They laid a tough hand in carving the Filipino American identity and separating us cross-culturally. Despite this fragmentation - we are one people. One people who share the common history of fragmentation and a defiant spirit in spite of it. Given this knowledge and the opportunity to fully examine it, it is our generation's (and possibly our children's) responsibility to make sense of it all.

I feel very fortunate that my parents taught me the language, taught me to cook the food, taught me the history, etc. At times it's I'm surprised that many parents in their generation did not do this. And even more surprised when kids my generation talk about how hard it is. It's not that complicated really. And you don't even have to know the language to pass it onto our own children.

It doesn't have to be big and large. We don't need to wear Filipino flags/pendants everyday or attend rallies/write letters. It can be as simple as eating Filipino food with our kids. Watching a Filipino movie or passing on the stories of Juan Tamad. Or even taking them to events where other Filipino Am couples/families are involved. It might even require asking/begging our parents to tell us their stories and help pass on the culture.

We have a golden opportunity to accomplish what so many of our parents could not do - dialogue and provide access to this rich fragmented history as well as add onto our parents' legacy. I would hate for it to go to waste.