Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectSince the other post got locked...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=94679&mesg_id=95107
95107, Since the other post got locked...
Posted by tREBLEFREE, Mon Nov-19-07 10:10 AM
I'd like to expound on my thoughts of:

>"The music is the star," says Erykah,
>"I just laid down my vocals and let the
>music breathe while the melodies tell the stories."

and exactly why I feel it is the BIGGEST load of bullshit I've ever heard.

You simply CANNOT create a masterpiece and then come behind that with some writer's block type bullshit.

Performance artist or not, you gotta come with the dope shit.

Erykah, please understand that I am not a hater. My comments were not those designed to applaud any failure - the wackness of "Worldwide Underground" hurt me two-fold because I kept the faith that you would come with the same strength of "Mama's Gun", and THEN I had to defend that fuckery to other people who KNEW I was a fan/supporter of your work:

"What's up wit ya girl Erykah, tREB? All that "I-I-I-I-I-I" shit...It sounded like the CD was skippin' nigga!"

Yeah, you never asked me to, but in this business, you KNOW you have die-hard fans that want to see you win regardless of what bullshit or greatness you put out. That's how I feel about Mary J. Blige and Jill Scott. The spirit they exude on their recordings and in their performances keeps me supporting them regardless of how their efforts come out.

So, in reply to your comment of "fuck you", instead of the smart-ass reply of "name a time and place - I'm down to get fucked by you and start wearing crocheted hats and pants", I'll just say that I wish you peace and I hope this album is better than "Worldwide Underground".

I'm ready to accept the fact that you're not consistent enough to drop another great album like "Mama's Gun". If it turns out that I'm wrong and your new album IS the shit, I'll GLADLY be the first person to step up to the bar and put hot sauce on my foot and begin a chow-down.

Sincerely Yours,

tREBLEFREE

P.S. - Don't forget to bitch-slap all of your yes-men and yes-women on your way down.

<<< tREB Simpson

The Past: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=101371
The Present: www.treblefree.com / www.omniversal.net / www.myspace.com/treblemusick
The NEAR Future: album coming 2008