Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: i spoke nothing but how i felt
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=94679&mesg_id=95081
95081, RE: i spoke nothing but how i felt
Posted by imcvspl, Mon Nov-19-07 04:51 PM
> ... i have grave respect for you and your critique.
>you gave it.
>im here to give you feed back. im sorry it hurt you if it
>did. hhhhhhhhh.

no hurt feelings. and thank you for the exchange.

>NOW
>when i asked you if you knew what liberation was, you said
>yes but did not define it.

asking someone if they know what liberation is, is not asking someone to define it. its actually pretty condescending, but a grain of salt....

>again .
>what is liberation.?

hehehehe.... okay so to understand liberatioin one must understand the yin to its yang, i'll here represent as the perception of things inhibiting one from the full potential of their being. in a word lets say oppression. you can have personal oppression and social oppression, even global oppression. as such liberation can be personal, social or even global. even further perhaps racial (homosapien) liberation, perceptual liberation... blah blah blah. thing about liberation is that it exists only as a reaction to the oppression. would someone who's not oppressed need worry about liberation? and so our ideas about liberation are all theoretical until we put them to practice, the practice of actually liberating.

there's stages right, we work through those things that personally oppress us, opening us up to those things that socially oppress us, opening up further to what globally oppresses us.

the thing about your verse IMHO, is not that its so much about personal liberation, but its about personal liberation from oppression you chose to put yourself into. the trials and tribulation of fame... that was a choice. and in the scheme of things you being a person fighting on that social/global level of liberation, you gotta expect that type of stuff. i'm talking here about the hatred, the lack of faith in your ability to stay true, the people that still see you as just another niggress no matter how much you achieve. those are things you gotta expect signing the dotted line. and so i don't really want to hear about how hard that is for you. no offense. i know its hard. i know of many the artist that has struggled with those issues, but its par for the course. not something i see as being relevant to the discussion of social liberation. if you didn't want those things, you shouldn't have signed on the dotted line, and found another way of achieving your mission.

>what does it mean to liberate or be liberated ?

at the end of the day only we can free we. we individually must free ourselves from personal oppressors so that we collectively can free ourselves from social oppressors, so that we can free ourselves from global oppressors. you are among many trying to share the light, but none of you are liberators.

>QUESTION2:
>whats the fundamental diff between my verse and andre's or big
>boy' s- besides mine being longer?

for one, neither of them are in this exchange. i would have critique for dre as well (not worrying about what another nigga think, is not liberation), less so for big boi. that said as i stated above the thing that set your verse apart is that its about an oppression you chose to put yourself into.

>what else.

any invalubale resources you found along the way in the education of your children? books, models etc...

i'd also like to take this time to shout out asoyini - see what happens when you start talking to artists (e if you're bored you can search the forum for what this is referencing).