Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectLiberation is one of my favorite songs off of Aquemini
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=94679&mesg_id=94896
94896, Liberation is one of my favorite songs off of Aquemini
Posted by , Thu Nov-22-07 11:37 AM
I take your verse as a "crabs in a barrel" analogy; people pulling you down even as your rise to the top. Can't be happy with you being happy or successful; want to much from you; want you to be superhumane. In a way, fans are enablers to inhumane treatment of stars (ie, would the paparazzi hound britney spears if we didn't traffic perezhilton.com)

People want the word liberation to mean the opposite what their ideas of oppression are, but chains are chains. Bling or not.

But even more so, the song as a whole is constructed for different points of view of what liberation is, so to take one verse and hate on it is just to not understand that perspective. Don't feel it? fine. there are three or four more verses that you may align with.

Personally, I'm a superstar in my own mind, so yours was the first verse that I connected with the first time i listened to Liberation...

I must say though, I'm lucky because I have a literature degree and in college I took a wonderful class with a guy named Keith Leonard and we spent an entire class on "Liberation". I kid you not. Aquemini was on the list of required texts for that class. So I might have a much different perspective on that song (and entire album) than everyone else here because I've studied it like I would a book. There's not one way too look at anything and we all take our individual baggage into a song when we listen to it.

FYI, WWU got me through probably the most difficult time of my life. The Grind was on repeat for three or four months. Thanks for making that album. It means alot to me.